Another leech pattern for lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Yes mohair! Dubbed then brushed out and back. about 3 to 5 turns of light lead also allows me to use these with floating lines, when there is a chop you can cast a long leader with dry line and let the leech slowly sink and suspend in the water - the waves make the dry line "snake" and the waves moving the line "jig's" the fly or gives it slow movement without having to work it yourself, when snake in the line straightens set the hook - you do not have to feel the take fishing this way. Just another slow presentation for when the fish are in 5 ft. deep or less water.

2. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Mark, that second bug with a metal bead in black under an indicator would be deadly.

Ira..

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. Nice bug. Ill definitely be tying some similar

4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I guess what I am trying to write is how I used to fish, or hover flies before indicators. think 70's and 80's and even 90's when no one knew what an indicator was, I would still come up with ways to hover a fly over weed beds or weed edges. like my soft hackle thread suggest greasing the leader to a obtain a certain depth for a very lightly weighted fly. I still use these technique's sometimes though indicators are so much easier - just not half as fun to cast. sure wish I would of taken a salmon corky with me in the old days to the lake with a piece of tooth pick to set it on the leader LOL. but these "light weighted fly- greased dry line" methods still shine in a lot of shallower water situations!

5. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I'm right there with you, Mark but with fewer years dedicated to the cause. I came to stillwater fishing about 10-12 years ago through the Denny Rickards school of thought . . .and I've been slowly learning how to incorporate indicators and a "vertical presentation". It helps to fish with guys like Ira that have serious bobber mojo. But there are times when a "hover"-style presentation on a floating or very slow intermediate is much more effective!

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

HEY I hope its not considered high jacking for what I posted? Its been a lot of fun with these post and very informative for patterns and techniques! I love seeing your patterns , I don't tie by formulas most of the time and try and make my own patterns from looking at others or thinking of patterns myself----the joy of tying your own! You've showed me some great ideas. thank-you!

7. Nick Clayton

Not highjacking at all mark. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your ties. I have learned an awful lot from all of you. This forum is truly a treasure trove of knowledge and I really appreciate how willing everyone is to share. That is one thing I really love about stillwaters, there sure seems to be a lack of competition and for the most part people I encounter on the water are always quick to give suggestions or give up a hot fly.

All the great flies you all have been sharing have got me totally inspired to tie. So much in fact that I spent the past couple weeks getting my tying stuff semi stocked and have whipped up a couple dozen bunny leeches that have been so productive lately. Gonna start in on some microleeches next, followed by some 'mids

8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Now might be the time to post the picture of the outhouse wall at Pass. Not everyone is so willing to share.

9. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

10. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Ira, those look good for Steelhead. Kinda the look my fly's have been going to

11. Nick Clayton

Well maybe if you would stop netting the damn lake.....

View attachment 48481

12. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I love the tan-white-grey one. thanks for posting the pics, I was looking on the swap thread and saw some of your work, Its very good! now where's some of blues softy's and leeches? Love her work also.

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I learned something many years ago referring tomthe less is more, that I would like to bounceof you all. Mohair, many times this comes on a string. Take it off that string. Pull, pluck, whatever. The string is way too thick. Then put it on a dubbing loop using thread for the loop.
    I don't have pictures to show the difference, but there is one.
    My Leech pattern is much easier, and moves/ungulates right up to the eye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love this new pattern, but I am seeing more a bait fish pattern. Whites, browns, even yellows. I amreally liking this pattern.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

14. guitarfisher

guitarfisher Jeff W.

iagree That's what I do. It definitely slims down the bulk. The "plucked" mohair is also a great component for custom dubbing blends.

15. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

I like this idea. I tie a bunny strip leach and in an effort to slim the pattern I use thin strips and scales the hide as thin as I can before tying in.