Another reason to not shop Cabelas

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Topstoy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I stopped shopping at Cabela's when I went to one.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Topstoy,

Really? It's that big a deal to you? Cabela's is a big box store with lots of people. People make mistakes. So Cabela's makes a lot of them. And other people can't make you feel like an idiot, so don't blame them. Only you can decide when to feel like an idiot. Unless you are an idiot.

And in my experience Cabela's low end fly rods are an amazingly good deal considering the quality per dollar. I have 3 of them, although one is a replacement for one that broke while casting. But I've also seen high end rods blow up in use, so I don't hold that against them.

Cabela's is a unique experience, 3 acres of camo clothing under one roof! Many in women's fashion camo styles no less. I get a kick out of the place, but it's not the best stop for fly fishing tackle.

Sg

jordan101 likes this.
  3. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I'm going to speak in defense of Cabela's, at least their products. I have 2 rods/reels and a pair of waders/boots from Cabelas. I don't like to blow a fortune on a new activity right up front, and Cabela's brand represents a good value/$ as mentioned above.

I agree their service/knowledge isn't very good, but prices for a starting fly fisherman are good. If I thought I had to spend much more than I did to start up, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I plan to use my Cabela's stuff until it doesn't work anymore, and then maybe I can afford something else.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  4. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Yes Sg it is a big deal to me, when they act like it's my mistake and not theirs and not even a "were sorry we made a mistake". Yes good custumer service is important to me. Especially when they do not have the cheapest prices, yes they are a big box store like Walmart and if their prices were similar then I would expect crappy service like Walmart. I am guessing that you work there and I am sorry I offended you!

Ron McNeal likes this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I only buy online and only when I can't find a product locally. I've never had a problem ordering directly from the company. If anything, their service has always been excellent. It sounds like I should avoid the retail stores and I will.

Yes indeed, "bait and switch is illegal" in just about any State. If a product is marked as on sale it must be sold at that price. They can take the sign down but as long as it is up, they don't have a choice. If anyone runs into that situation anywhere, ask to speak to the store manager if the cashier says there's nothing they can do, they are wrong. Personally, I would have reported them to the Better Business Bureau. I've worked in the auto biz for 35 years and if an auto is offered for sale in a newspaper or any advertisement or has a sign on the window, it MUST be sold for that amount.

Same goes for any retail business and any product. As I know how this stuff comes down, If I were you, I'd call the store manager and complain. You should receive a refund for the difference.

6. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Most places I have ever shopped that made that mistake, ALWAYS gave the item to me for the price marked and then changed the sign. I would have gotten the manager out ther lickity split and I would have gotten it for the marked price or they would have been tolded that they lost me as a customer and everybody I know in person or on the forums would stop shopping there.

7. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Active Member

My 2cents. A long while back, I ordered a Cabela's brand fly rod and reel as a backup. Quickly realized they were both complete crap, though they were not their bottom-of-the-line versions. The drag adjust on the reel was literally a screw with a loose piece of plastic rod under it that pushed on the spool. Unbelievably poor design and production specs. I understand the issue with service at a big box store. It's hard to find and keep knowledgeable employees. But the fact that they were willing to market such poor equipment means low standards at corporate HQ. I've never gone back.

8. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I don't have an axe to grind with Cabelas but there is nothing in their stores that I want or need.
    I do stop off at the Lacey store maybe once a year just to see the Cub hanging from the ceiling.
    Jack

9. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

I check the online bargin basement once a week. Every now and then a deal comes through that is to good to pass up. Personally I don't have anything bad to say about Cabelas but I choose my purchases wisely from cabelas. I've known a few people that ended up returning cabelas gear because it didn't hold up to consistent use. I will say my Cabelas three forks 3wt is awesome! Love that rod!

10. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I don't buy much from them these days either...quality dropped and prices increased. That said, the folks that work there are just out trying to make a living like the rest of us.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  11. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

12. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

Not really trying to grind an axe with them, for years, especially 10-12 years ago I spent thousands of dollars ordering from them online. Some good and some bad, Their entry level rods and reels are not that great of quality. I was more ticked with the instore shopping experiance and the employees attitudes that I delt with that day. They acted like I was trying to pull a fast one on them even though they recognized the mistake. Not worth bashing and creating a battle, just expressing some disapointment for driving a long ways to experience the "store". I will stick to, like others, cruizing the bargin cave online if I am interested in doing any business with them.

13. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

anybody else just hate the gross sad looking pellethead rainbows that look like they are begging for a quick death?

Thats what really turned me off

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I wish everyone would stay away , theres enough traffic in marysville with out all the increase of camo clothed traffic that cabelas has brought to town.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have realized that you all would bitch if you got a bad deal from Walmart. Not everyone got burned from Cabala's. I have bought a few things from them now and then. I don't go out of my way to shop at them. You have to look at what you buy and not go with the lowest price. Or you get what you paid for.

I might be a cheap bastard but before I buy I have to see what I'm buying in my hot little hands. Even if I buy from Allen Fly Fishing, I ask them to send it to me so I can decide if I really want the item. I have bought two reels and was presented with another reel. Which I use in the winter time. You can't say enough about their products.