Another saltwater report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tony, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

I managed to get out this afternoon, got to the beach about 1:00 bright sun but the outgoing seemed like something to try. There wasn't a sign of fish to be seen but I did see a duck chasing bait which seemed like a good thing, started out with clousers tried a couple of colors without success, decided to try this new deceiver I just tied and after a bunch of casts, trying different retrieves to try to get the fly to act like what I thought a baitfish might act like a really nice silver hammered it and took to the air, it was big, a hen that made some great runs with plenty of leaps to add to the fun, thought I might lose it with all the jumps but finally I got it on the beach, nice fish in the 10lb range. I don't believe it was still feeding, when I cleaned it there wasn't a thing in its stomach, early spawner? I don't know, the eggs were pretty well developed also so thats my best guess. Same beach Leland. I'm starting to think that maybe the fish are here but that they are staying out deeper, not coming in close due to all the sun and really not needing to due to all the bait, I really don't have enough experience to say one way or the other but it seems like a possibility.
    tony

2. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Tony:

That is one nice fish that you caught. Way to go!

If I keep a salmon, I also always check it's stomach to see what it might have been feeding. Yesterday I kept a 4-5 lb coho and it had two 4-5" sand lance in it's stomach. Usually they will quite feeding in the next week or two in Puget Sound waters. It is amazing sometimes what you will find in their stomachs. Last July my fishing buddy kept an adult coho and there were black ants or beetles in it's stomach. What a surprise!

If a salmon's stomach is empty does not necessarily mean that it was not feeding when you hooked it. I have frequently seen salmon chasing bait fish and land one of these fish but it's stomach was empty. It is quite common to see a salmon "puke out" baitfish or other food sources when you bring it in close to land it. Yesterday I landed a nice sized sea-run cutthroat and as it got close to the boat it "puked out" a 5-6" sand lance. If a fish's stomach is empty, I will check it's intestines and except for Fall coho there will invariably be something but usually indistinguishable in it's intestines.

Roger

3. laivindil

laivindil Member

What flies would you guys suggest I try for coho and sea-runs? (I'm a newb getting more serious about fly fishing in the salt)

4. TimHa

TimHa Member

Home Page:
    Clousers in olive or brown work pretty well, maribou or bucktail, tied in #2-8. My beef with Clousers is the lead eyes can whack rocks on the beach in back of you since the beaches are steep around here so I now tie flies with epoxy heads for a bit of weight but w/o the lead and they cast better. Basically a very sparse streamer in a Sand Lance or Herring pattern, the current issue of NW Fly Fishing has my Sand Lance pattern in it. In the winter small bonefish flies work pretty well when they coho are on euphosids, I like white Crazy Charlies. Leyland likes his beach popper which is a great fly if you want surface action, it was in the last issue of NW Fly Fishing.

Tim

5. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

I fish clousers and various epoxy headed flies(decievers,tube flies ect.)and of course the beach popper, I've only been fishing the salt for 3 years so I've still got alot to learn but I've found the beach popper and small baitfish (epoxyheads) creations to be the most successfull for cutts. sure I do catch them on clousers but I find them much more willing to hit the others, I usually start out with clousers when fishing for salmon (pink or green ones) this was the first I've ever caught on a deciever and I've started trying the beach popper this year for salmon also but have yet to get a strike.
    tony

6. Denny

Denny Active Member

Depending on where you live (Suburbia, WA describes a lot of places!), there is probably a shop nearby that can give you some great advice on where, what to use, how, when, and have good flies for you to use.

In Tacoma, hit the Morning Hatch.

In Tacoma up to the South end of the Seattle Area (say, Renton and Burien), Puget Sound Fly Co.

In Bellevue, Kaufmann's or Orvis (talk to Leland, but as far as flies go, he's a popper man all the way!).

In Issaquah, Creekside. In downtown Seattle, Creekside first then Kaufmann's.

In the north end of Seattle, Avid Angler (in Kenmore).

North of Avid Angler, up until you hit the Mount Vernon, there's a dearth of fly shops. Ted's, in Lynnwood, has quite a good selection of tying materials and a good equipment selection, but the shop is primarily a gear shop and not a fly shop (not that there's anything wrong with that, it just probably won't have the info that you seek).

The above shops all have one or more persons that are avid saltwater fishers, and can give you good guidance.

I like the guys in Mill Creek, too, but they seem to fish more trout and freshwater salmonids than salt, and may not be as good as source of info as the other guys. Ditto for the shop in Monroe ("All About the Fly"). Great people, but saltwater fishing doesn't seem to be as much a focus for them as it is for other shops. But definitely stop in there if you're looking for Skykomish River info . . .

If distance and location were no issue, I'd be all over the Puget Sound Fly Company. Those guys LOVE saltwater fishing, and put the majority of their time in the salt. Many of their customers do, too, so they get a lot of current information, and are usually willing to share it. :thumb:

Hope this helps!

7. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

I second everyone elses suggestions and would add a reverse spider to the list.

8. Bob Young

Bob Young Member

Originally Posted by laivindil
    What flies would you guys suggest I try for coho and sea-runs? (I'm a newb getting more serious about fly fishing in the salt)

Another source for salt water flies is Patrick's Fly Shop on Eastlake in Seattle.
    As for patterns I might suggest a simple Knutson Spider. Black is my fav.
    They are easy to tie and both SRCs and silvers will hit them.

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Yep, if you're downtown or in the University district, that would be another good source of information and flies. The folks there have ample saltwater experience. :thumb: