Any Chum at Minter Creek, Chambers Creek, or Chico Creek

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by South Sound, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

An interesting approach to keep you out of harms way, away from the elbow to elbow action. I like that. Same reason I'm itching to float tube out into the estuary at chico. It's not that I don't like you guys and our brothers the gear fishermen, but I'm a shitty caster and it may be safer for everyone for me to be out away from the crowds.

2. Ed Call

Can anyone confirm or dispell the presence of boiling chum at Chico? I'm considering another dawn patrol to Chico or some trout water before a day full of meetings and trick or treating.

3. Brian Bayeur Sr.

Brian Bayeur Sr. Member

went by minter today didnt see anything 6:00 pm 30 oct

4. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Went to Chico this morning around 10 and had the best day to date. I had two on that just about spooled me before breaking off. There were a LOT of fish and most fisherman had a ball.

Mike

5. Ed Call

Hey fishfinder, I see you are living at Chico these days. I wandered down in my fancy work duds the other day and you were out in the water about thigh deep. I saw that nifty stripping basket too, looks quite effective. How did you get broken off? Lots of rocks with barnacles on the flats there, maybe you should go up a tippet size or two. Glad you got your line stretched. Maybe I'll run into you again soon.

6. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the comments on the basket. I have received a lot of positive input from fellow chum hunters. As far as getting broke off it was more of a self decision. I was well into the backing and these guys were not coming home. So I applied a little pressure to break the tipit. I always add a piece to the leader so I don't have to keep replacing leaders.

I made a new friend who has been fly fishing for over 60 years. He suggested I try a 9' leader made from 12lb mono. So next time out I will try this instead of a tappered leader.

Mike

7. Ed Call

I've had many tell me to use a level piece of leader material and maybe a short section of one size lighter just to easily tie flies to and replace. Get back at it and let us know how it goes.

8. HammerinHonkers

HammerinHonkers New Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm new here, so Hi to all. I am a big fan of chico and the chums that stack up in there. I was wondering how the numbers have been? I know people are catching some fish but are they stacked in there already, seems a little early. People that have fished it for years, know what I mean when I say stacked. Last year was awesome, and I was hoping for a similiar year. Nothing more fun than catching chum on a fly rod. Reports would be great, it is a long drive for me, I live in renton, but work in tacoma. I will probably start going out when the reports of 15 day fish is the norm, just too far to drive until then. Also, does minter get going later than chico? I have never fished it but have wanted to. Thanks guys and best of luck to all.
    HH

9. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

it's slow.........

10. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

it's slow.........

11. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mumbles I used a 9' 12lb mono leader this morning, had several hook-ups without any problem. One nice thing in using this leader is that it is easy to get my wind knots out.

Mike

12. Ed Call

Fishfinder, good to hear. Are you adding any tippet to the terminal end of the level 12# mono leader? You report several hook ups, are the fish increasing in numbers? How many to hand? Did the 12# hold up to the beasts? I usually use a tapered leader in 12# plus a portion of 9# or 10# tippet.

13. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

No added tippit. While I was there not to many, but managed to hook up 3 or 4 and brought one to hand with fly in mouth.

Fishfinder

14. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

I flew over Minter to check it out and the Indians have a Big Ass net stretched out on the SW side of the Bay. Didn't see any schools from the air. Should be some fish in there after all the rain.

15. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Hit Chico from 10:00-1:30 today. Some fish around but very few caught - even by the snaggers. I didn't see anyone with a flyrod bring a fish in while I was there.

Rob