NFR Any Plumbers on the Board?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

In Washington, typical contractors liability insurance premiums pay for liability protection for both the homeowner and the contractor. If anything goes badly, civil suits and litigation are typically involved. Who needs that kind of risk and grief for $25 an hour?

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

So it all tree's back to the friggin lawyers! Not only are they getting elected to far too many political positions and mucking things up, they've have a hand in creating the litany of laws and regulations that line their pockets and jacks up the price of damn near everything.

Any lawyers on the forum? :D

3. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Funny the Ad's that pop up on some of these threads;
    PlumbingNetworks.com
    Licensed, Professional Plumbers Get Multiple Free Quotes Instantly!
    I for one like the L&I rules. It helps control the "hacks" that think they know how to do it all. I've been shocked (read electrocuted) more then once by someone else's work. ​
    Once got hit by a free hanging range hood. Previous so called electrician had hooked it up all backward. Put the hot to the shell and the neutral to the ungrounded lead. It was like that for years until some person tall enough to touch it and the stove top/ground. Man that one hurt. I was lucky it didn't do any lasting damage. ​

4. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I had a call once when I was general contracting in Washington. I showed up to fix a floor that the lady had complained squeaked when it was walked on. I showed up walked around the floor, listened, and then I used the snap-off head screws you can put through carpet and leave no marks. I fixed the floor in about 5 minutes with a dozen or so screws and a cordless drill. I then wrote the lady a bill for $48 dollars.

She came unglued and yelled at me that I was taking advantage of her. She called me filthy names and all sorts of things. I asked her if she owned her house. She proudly said that she did. I asked her if she knew what a lien was. She said she did. I then asked her if she knew how to build a house. She said she didn't. I then told her that I would write her up a new bill taking that information into account.

The new bill was then written;
    screws $5.00
    knowing where to put them $43.00
    30 minutes travel time, each direction $0.00

She paid the bill, still bitched me out one last time though.

triploidjunkie, PT and jessejames like this.
  5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

I had this call out at least a half a dozen times.
    Call to the office;
    Customer-All of the bathrooms are dead and none of the breakers are tripped.
    Office- When was your house built?
    Customer-Mid eighties.
    Office-Most homes built around had time had a GFI outlet placed near the panel. Usually in the garage. It will have two buttons on it. One marked test, one marked reset. Try to find that and reset it.
    Customer-I have lived in this house since it was new and I know there is no such outlet. Please come out an check it out.
    Office- That will be a service call. ( I think we charge $95.00 for that)
    Customer-Okay

I go out find the panel in the garage, with a GFI outlet right next to it. Reset it. Check the power in the bathrooms. Show the customer the GFI and tell them the bill will be mailed. You would not believe how many refuse to pay.

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

One of the elec-tech's at work told me "there are old electricians and bold electricians, but not very many old and bold electricians"... I keep my pocket knife with the melted tip as a reminder of those very succinct words.

I had a licensed electrician install my dedicated circuit and incoming line for the portable generator a few years ago and subsequently called the same guy (who works for a local company) back to resolve an outlet issue in the house -- very reasonable compared to the several plumbing jobs we've had both at this house and our previous home. The one even included price for permit/inspection.

I think the level of skill/knowledge for both is about comparable, though to my mind, the consequences of the E's getting it wrong is significantly higher. So, unless we're just picking the highest priced plumbers in WA, I still don't see the justification for the exorbitant prices. I get all the comment about overhead having to be absorbed (and it is largely driven by way too much bureaucracy, in turn lining someone else's pocket), but $350+/hr is ridiculous. And, for the record, the job we just had done involved no doo-doo, just fresh water.

Quick comment to the fishing guides on the forum -- considering the skill level needed catching fish in rivers with virtually no fish and the consequence of rowing under a logjam, you are WAY, WAY under priced and missing a huge opportunity. ;)

7. fishseeker

fishseeker New Member

I prefer to be called a Recycled food systems Engineer thank you. My motto was your shits my bread and butter. 35 years in the trade. Working in New homes and remodel. Always said I should have been a SparkyBecause its got to be dry for them to run their wiring. So the roof had to be on. Plumbing can get wet. When it rains without a roof it rains under the house for a couple more days. Wet, cold or old musty moldy dust. But I agree that some service outfits are outa line! That said in todays world of 5-6 hundred K houses you need a lot of insurance. It don't take much to cause a lot of damage in a hurry. Miss a step kiss a hardwood floor goodbye, miss a step and the ceiling falls down. Miss a step and blow a house up because of a gas leak. Yup I should have been a Sparky, but that crap bites and I don't like getting bit!!!!