Any reports for area 9

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by rockfish, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I did a dawn patrol on an East facing beach in MA 9 on Friday morning. Fished it for about two hours, bait seen in the 3" to 5" range, two boils that could have been an SRC or small Coho but casting in the vicinity netted no takes or follows on surface or subsurface patterns. Moved to a Northeast facing beach in MA 9 to find a long line of anglers with varying techniques employed. Here I got three beefy and aggressive bull heads that hit flies on a pretty brisk strip. Still evidence of a nice amount of baitfish. A few jumpers well beyond my casting capabilities. After another couple of hours I headed to the family adventures planned for the day. Score: Me Zero (bullheads don't count for crap). Beach anglers: Zero Gaggle of 50-100 boats Zero that I saw.

High point was fishing with Rob Ast, running into Mr. Bad Example and realizing that I can teach myself how to double haul and add at least 20 feet to my paltry casting distances. At least I got out.

Crabbing report from an area of MA 9 still closed for salmon fishing...worked traps far too long for two keeper dungeness and four red rock. They were tasty, but probably not worth the effort. One of my preferred pot dropping areas had so many of those non-recreational crabbing floats that you could just about walk across them.

2. rockfish

rockfish Member

I like size 4 & 6. Just about any baitfish pattern with green or pink in it will get a strike from from a rezzi who swims by. There tons of candlefish out in deeper water. those black lookin diving ducks all got 3 or 4 hanging out of there mouths. Friday evening got a 7 or 8 lber coho king fishin and it had candlefish and herring in him. Gluttonous bastard

3. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

I fished MA-9 beaches on the evening of the 17th and in the morning on the 18th and 19th during a family vacation. Friday evening I battled the winds and landed a 3lb rezzie on a epoxy sandlance pattern (BBQ time). Diving birds coming up with 4" sandlance and a subtle rip tide revealed the spot to cast (I never saw any jumping or slashing the surface at that spot but they were there). Saturday morning tried another beach and had the best action with 7 hard grabs or hook-ups, but only 2 silvers landed (the largest was 4lbs and put on a good show). All takes were on 3" epoxy sandlance patterns. I also captured a legal dungenous crab the hard way (with my feet). Sunday morning was slower action for me and the larger feeding fish seemed to be just out of reach; I landed ~6 shakers and a cutthroat. That morning my 12 year old nephew hooked the fish of the day, a real hot silver that took him for a ride (the look of shock on his face was priceless). I'll put some photos in the gallery later tonight.

No pinks or chinook caught, maybe later. Overall the resident silvers seemed fewer and smaller than last year, but it was bright out and one weekend isn't a trend.

4. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Yea i went out, i think i forgot how to overhead cast, been spey casting forever and have been to lazy to hit beach. I tried a xp rod that i acquired with my versitip on it and the intermediate tip on. Man i couldnt cast 30 feet to save my life. My tfo pro with that line used to cast pretty good. I got embarrassed after like 10 minutes and left. What leader should i use with that intermediate tip? Normal 9ft or just short piece? I did see some guy leave with 2 small somethings, guessing silvers.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    with an intermediate I rarely use more than 3-4' of leader/tippet. when you're going subsurface, and have a less visible running line, there's no reason to lengthen it and make your casting more difficult than it needs to be. especially with those heavy flies

6. urbnfly

urbnfly Member

I use 5 foot poly leaders on all of my intermediate lines. Add 3-4 feet of tippet and it should turn over well for you.

7. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Yea i used just like 3 or 4 ft of 15lb maxima but i couldnt get thing to lay out or not pile up mid air.... i have never have had that problem really. Guess i will break out the tfo to see if i can cast that fine haha

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I fished two beaches Sunday beginning at 4:30AM. I fished my pink popper and didn't raise any fish, but then, the only fish I saw were when I was walking the other way.

Leland.

9. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Donte Nice one !!

10. salt dog

salt dog card shark

East side of Area 9 was quiet too. I fished Picnic Pt from first light to tide change on Sunday and never saw fin nor tail on the surface. Couple of small SeaRuns, but not much sport on a 7 wt rod.

One fellow trolling about 250 ft from shore hooked up with a nice King, chased after it for over 20 minutes while he played it, including screaming bloody murder at the seal that had breakfast designs for his fish-on-a-leash. Pretty funny.

Any day now things will start popping.

11. urbnfly

urbnfly Member

I haven’t noticed as much surface activity either. In fact, I’ve caught most of my fish on sink tips rather than my standard intermediate lines. The diving birds are going down a few feet to get the lance, but the seagulls have not been very active on top. Maybe it’s just a numbers game. As more fish show up the topwater action should improve.

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Once we finally get out of this high pressure system, I think things will pick up. These clear skies and strong north winds certainly don't help.

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I usually don't need fish showing to get topwater action, I just need them to be "around," especially this time of year. Poppers, if nothing else, are the ultimate attractor fly.

Leland.

14. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

slow last night 7/20, picked up a nice rezzi 1 hour after the tide change. 4" hot pink/white clouser. Looked like a few nice fished landed by the boats out front of us.

15. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    Fished a local beach and picked up a nice 18" Silver and 10" silver. They are getting bigger. Caught nothing bigger than 12" couple months ago in same area.