Any Rock Creek advice you are willing to Share?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by obiwankanobi, Sep 10, 2012.

1. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I've fished Rock Creek every summer for the last 10-12 years, as well as sporadically throughout the year and if you want to actually catch fish on Rock Creek, fishing at the Dalles/Swinging Bridge is a terrible idea.

2. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Why is that? It's undoubtedly some of the fishiest-looking pocket water around. I must admit, I've had way better success between Tamarack Cr. and MM7, and that's all paved too.

3. travisbrown73

travisbrown73 New Member

A couple things I would like to add to the discussion:
    First, my gf and I went there to fish on 8-29.
    I don't get it.
    There is some absolutely unfishy water on that creek. Lots of it. Flat, wide, shallow. If I was a fish, I would just move on. I don't get it at all....I kept looking at the Gazateer and thinking that the really fishy stuff must be way down the road....
    Secondly, regarding access, we took my dad's BMW Z3 up to MM25.
    :) Not bad, really.

I just didn't understand what was going on. That is a lot of semi-stoopid road to drive down for some un-awesome looking water. Granted, we only walked in to spots that were off the road (and out of sight) in a few places hoping to find the hidden stashes.... no love. No Rock Creek Love at all. It was so bad, I did almost throw my line in at the swinging bridge, just because it was some of the fishiest looking water we saw all day. I was that desperate.

4. Kyle Smith

There are some nice pools on the lower end of the creek. It fished really good all through July then it shut down a bit. Small nymphs under an EHC worked pretty much all summer.

5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Travis,
    A lot of people don't 'get it' the first time or two on Rock Creek. Despite what trustfunder had to say, it isn't always loving and it can be very subtle, but it also can be a great fishery. It may just not suit your style.

D

6. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

It gets by far the most consistent pressure of any area on the river that is off the paved section. In my experience, it looks far better then it fishes and ruins alot of peoples Rock Creek experience.

7. travisbrown73

travisbrown73 New Member

Hmm. The 'subtle' element is probably what my ninja-senses weren't picking up. I forgot to mention that my gf and I have only been engaging in this wonderful world of ff'ing for about a year, with only the west-slope s-rivers and the yakima to compare other watersheds to. (Though we did get to the Idaho's Selway last summer.) There is definitely a difference between these waters and the way things looked on RC.

Still, we were aware that things should look different, and that we couldn't expect to catch fish in a brand new environment. Fish can be dumb...but then again, we're not so smart as to get it right the first time all the time. :)
    ~Travis

8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Travis -

Here's a hint for RC and any other freestone stream in the northern Rockies. Don't necessarily look for the deep, dark pools for the best fishing. Look for the patches of water that seem to be a darker green than the surrounding lighter, shallower water. They often will have a bit of a 'slick' surface - not so rippled or rough. Fish hold in these slightly deeper troughs and pick off food that floats over. ... and don't move on after picking up one fish from such a spot, they often hold several fish.

D

9. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

Light to dark, shallow to deep(er). Pegged it, Richard.

Regards,
    Scott

10. Greg Yen

Greg Yen Member

We were there last week and it was awesome. Fish on dries all day long -avg 12" with the biggest a 18" cuttie - non-stop from 9AM to 7.5 PM. Kinda smokey though from the fires in the Sawtooth Mtns. Use a foam hopper with a parachute adams all day with a parachute blue -wing mixed in as well. It was dry fly euphoria. Thanks to all for your input on this site. Cast it behind those shallow rocks that look fishless, they are there!

11. Kyle Smith

Upper or lower creek? Nice report.

12. travisbrown73

travisbrown73 New Member

Huh. I learned a lot in this thread. Thanks, guys. :)
    ~Travis

13. Greg Yen

Greg Yen Member

upper. Personally, I liked standing in the middle and casting to the shore on both sides.

14. Westfork

Westfork Member

Why didn't you just cruise it with Google's 3D feature and save yourself some gas?

really?

BTW, when anyone in MT says "Rock Creek" they really mean the "other" Rock Creek.

15. Bullwhacker

Bullwhacker Member

Secret tips for Rock Creek: Throw any number of dry or wet flies into the water and catch dozens of 6"-12" fish all day. (Occasionally larger) There really isn't any secrets to Rock Creek. It is probably the easiest river in the state to catch large numbers of fish on, hence the popularity. If you are fishing fishy water with a fishy fly and getting skunked on Rock Creek, consider golfing.