Any Rocky Ford Info?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Clueless Fisher, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Clueless Fisher

Clueless Fisher New Member

A friend & I are debating heading to Rocky Ford this weekend for some fishing. I was wondering if anyone has been there recently and would share a report. Also, what flies would be good this time of year?

Lastly, having never been there what can we expect for crowds?

Thanks!

2. steve s

steve s Active Member

Expect a lot of people and use scuds. If you use the search function, you'll find all the info that you need. I believe that there will be a cleanup happening there this weekend so if you were to join in on that, I'm sure that people will be more than happy to share some info with you.

3. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

The DrySide Fly Fishers from M.L. are sponsoring a clean up, quite a few from both the westside and locals have said they will be here. We'll meet at the middle parking area 9:00 a.m., will furnish garbage bags and a dumpster. Join us for a few hours or whatever it takes to clean up the area, and you're welcome to join us for an impromptu tailgater around noon. We should have the barbie on and some 'dogs or Brats available. Depending on the turnout, there should be ample time to fish the 'Ford, Lenore or Dry Falls in the afternoon. Hope to see you there. <*(( ))><

4. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

You can also call the Desert Angler in Ephrata.

5. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Bring tiny scuds and tiny dries and be prepared to pull your hair out when you see these fish and they won't bite :thumb:

Oh yeah and don't go up anyones driveway or someone might run out with a coors in one hand and a shot gun in the other. . . . :eek:

6. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Home Page:
    Might I humbly suggest throwing some stuff they haven't seen too much of? Try skinny bunny leeches 4-6" long. But it's hit or miss anyway. Good luck! You'll have a grand time!

MAC

7. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Sculpins in the frog water.

8. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Chuck meat at em. Throw some big bunnies like Mac said. Change your retrieve up see what they like. I have always done good with crawdad flies. Little chrinomids in around size 16 to 22 in black, red and olive always work. Make sure they are beadheads though so you can get down to the bottom where the fish lay. Scuds will almost always work but I like to chuck streamrs at em. Good luck to ya. Have fun :thumb:

9. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

iagree
    Good Advice! I agree. I've always had good luck with size 10 and 8 marabou streams, black and olive. They have never failed me. Scuds and chironomids as back ups. That's all you'll probably need. Make sure whatever you use to get down deep and do a slow retrieve. I was out fished by a friend once, all he used the whole time was a size 14 Pheasant Tail Nymph.

Keith

10. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Right on. That's my prefered way to fish anyway but RF begs for it. Also watch for any weather system to come over and stay there...bite will change when anything kicks up and surface visibility changes. I've seen guys head for the truck or even leave when this happens, only to have the bite go crazy and lots of room to fish. That and at dusk go dry with your pmx and hopper-type patterns. Personal fave: pmx in black. Less common to find but worth having.

Good Luck!

11. nick42

nick42 basket weaver

pellet flies!!!

12. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Thats what I call power bait :rofl:

13. b8is

b8is New Member

We fished RF a few weeks ago and were very successful with scuds and olive willys.

14. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Rocky ford is a diverse and captivating fishery. It has been referred to in several popular fishing "rags" as a jewel of the northwest. Long held as a "guides only" secret fishing location rocky ford has finally starting receiving the attention it deserves.

During the spring season anglers will encounter both ad-fluvial O. Mykiss gairdneri and catadromous cyprids such as tench and barbel. I would recommend focusing your efforts on the lesser known chain pickerel, as a member of the esox genus this water wolf will move actively to midge clusters. These fish are very fond of cuel de canard.

Rocky ford holds its place among the great fishing locales of this world for good reason. Sections and pools such as junction, mixer, shadow, cable, the ranch water, the box, three dollar, and letort run all hold nice fish. Just ask any rocky ford regular about these well known spots and they will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Techniques:
    a. equipment:
    Rods- 8-11wt MINIMUM fast action, fighting butt necessary. 8-81/2 foot for maximum leverage, go any longer and you will loose power.
    b.reels- Tibor, Abel, Charlton, Nautilus, Hardy. Smooth drag, cork preferable. Something that isn't going to fade when put under repeated and intense pressure.
    c.lines- 400-700 grain fast sink shooting heads, billfish tapers. As for running line, braided mono is my first choice, 50-70 pound depending on the size class you are dealing with.
    d.tippet- 20lb IGFA flouro with a 150-200lb shock. Bimini twist to shock for maximum strength.
    e.flies- These fish are PICKY! Something very realistic, this is my bug of choice for those coldwater pickerel:
    [​IMG]

Presentation: Think no drag, 17.5 to 20 foot leaders tapering down to 7x if it is windy, 8x if the water is glass. Technical casting is very important. I usually use a belgian wind cast with a stack mend on my forward stroke. A thrust cast with late power application finished several feet above the water as to overpower the loop and pile the leader also works in tight situations.

Best of luck, please report back to us how you do. Remember Rocky Ford is a scarred resource. Please practice catch-and-release and crush those barbs!!

TIGHT LINES!

15. flytyerboy95

flytyerboy95 Future fly fishing guide

OMG thats good stuff zen. oh by the way if you want to see more of thoughs fly patterns go on www.paulwhillock.com amazing stuff that guy.