Any Sage LL owners?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by obiwankanobi, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Yak

Yak Member

I'm also on the LL bandwagon and my first quality rod was a 389-2LL purchased new from a shop.
    It's definately my favorite trout rod and I've fished it hard and often. I decided I wanted the 4 piece version for travel and picked up the 389-4 re-issue a few years back. it seems to have a bit more backbone in the 4 pc config so seems a bit more versatile with bigger flies and some wind.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I have a 590-2 that I bought in 1989 after breaking my main trout rod, an early 1970s Scientific Anglers fiberglass 6 wt. That gave me an excuse to buy new 5 wt fly lines while I was at it. I like the rod but haven't used it in recent years because I have a 4 piece that is more convenient to travel with, or I fish with my 5 wt bamboo.

Sg

3. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Looks like you could sell it for enough for a down payment on another bamboo.

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I bought my 490 LL about twenty years ago. I've fished it almost exclusively as my trout rod. It's seen plenty of action and I caught my first "on a fly" steelhead on the rod about eight years ago while on the Deschutes River in Oregon. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

5. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Active Member

I've got a 490-2, a 590-2 and a 590-4 and I love 'em all! I fish the 590-2 mostly in the salt, and the 490-2 in freshwater... the 590-4 is mostly reserved for travel or when I need ease of packing.

So here's a question that's been nagging me:

How long will Sage be able to replace these rods under warranty? The last one I broke was a few years ago; it was totalled from being run over (long story) and was replaced without hesitation. Surely they can't have an unlimited supply though. How long do you think the replacement stock will last?

6. creekx

creekx spent spinner

My first high-end rod was a 279LL purchased in 1987. I sold it around 1992 to finance other new gear. Of all the rods I've sold over the years, it's the only one that I regret.

I still have my Graphite II 586LL purchased in 1988, and a Graphite III 4711LL purchased in 1992. That little 4711 landed me a ton of North Idaho cutties over the years. Shame I haven't fished it now for ten years or so...

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I know this is insane, but when I first got the rod (and I don't remember) I was on the Deshutes in Oregon and I thought I would try it out because it was new. Of course, it is not the rod to use on the Deshutes by any means. But, I did because I was itching to use it. I was fishing one evening near dusk, throwing a #16 Elk Hair Caddis under some bushes upstream. I thought something sucked in my fly so I set the hook. You guessed it. I hooked into a steelhead. Would you believe I played it for 10 minutes before it came unbuttoned..... one of those memories... gees.

8. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

I bet the eBay price on LL's has just increased 25%...

9. oldskool

oldskool Guest

Laryy, I had the exact same thing happen to me with my 490LL on the Clearwater late July. Except my reaction was..."Oh great, what the $@*# do I do now?" She turned, ran, I watched, "boink"....that was that.

10. Calvin1

Calvin1 Active Member

I have a two piece 590 LL that I never use anymore. Anyone want to make and offer or propose a trade?

11. gt

gt Active Member

if i could find a 490 LL to add to the 389 and 590, i'd pay the price. i actually bought one on ebay 6 years ago for a friend. it had never been used, wish i had that rod in my collection. there is just nothing like the nice progressive action of the LLs, not even my custom made bamboo comes close.

12. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Yep, I love that progressive action. Sage's discontinuing of the LL line is largely responsible for why I became a Winston fanatic.

13. GABoy

GABoy Member

Recently I traded my SPL 181-3 Center Axis combo for a damn near mint LL 490-4 and 100 bucks! I've always heard great things about the LLs and was pretty excited to finally cast one... Like butter I tell ya!!!! I've always liked the older, slower Sage SPLs and was destroyed when Sage told me that they could not replace my broken 483-3 due to lack of blanks... Until I got my hands on the LL!!! Took it out West a few weeks ago and it performed perfectly on several cutts pushing 18 inches. It is definitely more of a dry fly rod, but I tossed some double nymph rigs and it wasn't too bad... But if I'm going to be tossing weight and indy rigs, I pick up the XP 690-4!!!

I don't think there is much left in the way of replacement LL blanks. I broke a SPL 4 weight and was told they didn't have any more SPL 4 weight blanks. I decided to ask about a replacement LL and they said that they only had an 8ft 4 weight blank in a 2 piece left. I considered it, but needed something I could pack for traveling... Hope I'm wrong about their stock though!!!

Yall be careful with those LLs!!!!!