Any Shad Reports?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by earlsmith, Jun 19, 2006.

1. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

My boys are out of school this week, and I'm thinking about taking them to go whack some fish, just hoping to here it's still on fire....
    Earl

2. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    I tried last weekend but got blown out. I got up real early Saturday, but it started blowing early too. It was still too much flow below the Dalles Dam for that holding water to work right, so I tried below John Day with everyone else. It started blowing hard there as well. No one else seemed to be catching much, so I gave up. They're only fun when it's 40 fish/hr. Maybe I missed them entirely this year.

3. Non-resident

Non-resident New Member

Hi Earl,
    I was able to take your information and catch a few. I went with a friend and we caught about 30 for the day, so either you're a much better fisherman, or it has slowed down a bit. I suspect it's that you're a much better fisherman. Although it didn't match up with your report, I was excited just to catch some fish. I can't wait to take my wife, and I'm debating on whether to take my 4 year old daughter.

I tried with my 8-weight, but I wasn't able to catch one. There were two problems. One, I don't have the patience to stick with it when I know I can just pick up my spinning rod and catch one. Two, my line probably wasn't getting deep enough. Next time, I'll just have to make the commitment to catch one on the fly.

Thanks for making my Father's Day a great one!

4. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Home Page:
    Im going tomorrow. Its better still be good...

5. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

6. sturgeon crazy

sturgeon crazy Member

lots of fish still around.below boneville is still good.if your not loosing flies your not deep enough and miss out on a fun fish.an 8 wt seems a bit heavy though for these guy's.there a blast on a 5 wt.
    SC

7. 4fish

4fish New Member

I went this morning (Monday) below John Day Dam and it was blowing so hard that I couldn't get my line far enough out there. I hate to say it, but I got skunked. It was only my second time fishing for shad, so maybe somebody could give me some advice on how to fish the howling wind?? I only fished for an hour before giving up and going to the Klickitat and fishing for Trout. I did catch some nice Rainbows, so the day wasn't a total loss.

8. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Just got back with my father in law today and had a fun time. Caught a few on the fly til' the wind started howling big time. We then switched to gear and hooked the majority on this rig. Tried the fly again but the wind wouldn't let up. We ended up with only about 20 hookups and 12 landed. Used 5 dif colors and patterns to 6mm chartruse beads with gold hooks. Switched patterns every 20 min or so, this worked for a while.

From the looks of everyone else, the fish were coming in waves every 2 hrs or so, which is pretty slow. Water level was low today, I don't know why knowone wasn't hooking in like it was 2 weeks ago.

Oh well, my father in law had a blast, first caught fish since moving in from TX 2 hrs ago. These Shad shure do bowl over bass in TX ponds anyday!

Oh forgot, assisted a fisherman and netted his 20lb salmon for him on his 15' rod. The fish was awesome! It was his second in 6hrs. That would of eaten my 6wt alive! He was plunkin' with a 3/0 hook and spin and glow. Kinda of boring but effective.

I'm done with shad and lakes for the year, its now time for Summer steel and the Cedar.

iagree

90.00 in gas...
    40.00 in food...
    40.00 in flies,hooks,etc....
    40 mph winds...
    6 1/2 hrs of total travel time...

...father in laws first Washington "poor mans steelhead" fish... Priceless.