Any tips for an up and coming steelhead guide?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Swimmy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Swimmy

Swimmy Riffle > Run > Pool

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
    SSIA.

Gyrfalcon2015 likes this.
  2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Carry a gun...

Tim Ihle likes this.
  3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Salmon
    Swimming
    In
    Argentina?

4. Albula

Albula Active Member

Always have a pocket full of 14 mm pink and white beads .... and a camera.

Swimmy likes this.
  5. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Ask Golfman. He'll dial you in!

golfman44 and jake-e-boy like this.
  6. Swimmy

Thanks guys. I should probably give you a little info about myself as I know this forum can be tough on the new guy.

I've had the privilege guiding trout in Montana for the past two summers. I'm pretty much dialed and now ready to take my skill set west. I am extremely passionate and have an untapped stamina. Although I have limited experience nymphing for steel, I am quick to learn. Customer satisfaction is at the top of my list, along with helping others achieve their fly fishing dreams.

As a member of TU, conservation is a priority for me and I'm really only looking to target native fish. I know that steelhead in the Pacific NW are being threatened so I can't wait to educate my clients about the plight of the run.

Prior to guiding I was the beer manager at our brewery focusing on quality control. I'm also a part time photographer, nature enthusiast, volunteer for the Art of the Rockies art show, and enjoy giving speeches at Peace Day celebrations.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again for your support!!

7. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

The best way to get into guiding steelhead would be to come west. Once you hit the coast get on a ship and sail it across the pacific or around cape horn making your way to New York once you arrive find the Salmon river once you find it pitch a tent and get your license spend 5-10 years learning the river then start guiding.

fisshman26 and Tim Ihle like this.
  8. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Swimmy, you sound like a consummate Bro's bro. I'm sure your beard is the envy of Grizzly Adams himself. What's your favorite trucker hat?

My advice is to put those Beer Manager chops to work and team up with the marketing team at YETI. Once they understand who they're dealing with, you'll get a nice push to help grease the skids with your new clients. A little recognition from appearing in the catalog with the new Loadout Bucket will go a long way to gaining cred in the guide community. Best of luck on your grand entrance to Steelface Society.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

First you'll need to ditch Simms and start a new account with Helly Hansen. PVC is like catnip to steelhead.

10. Swimmy

Great idea. I should find some sponsorships and probably get on Pro Staff. My approach to guiding is fairly unique and I'm sure companies will want to get behind me. You guys know anyone in the industry that would want to get in on the floor?

Also, what do you think about reaching out to some current guides and networking? I'm sure they'll be happy to help, especially when they find out I'm only planning on being over there for a couple of months.

troutpocket likes this.
  11. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

What type of stickers you sporting? I'm just trying to make it so you fit in. Many are angry at Montana guides moonlighting over here. I personally don't see what the fuss is about. I mean there's plenty of fish and rivers for all.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Not to mention, untapped imagination! You must have been voted "Class Clown" for your senior yearbook, right?

Old Man likes this.
  13. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

You need to practice explaining to clients that booked you for a day of swinging about why they'll need to fish beads most of the day. Something like this:

Start of day: "Well, we have an 8 mile float today, and there's a really good swing run at mile 7 we want to fish, but until we get there why don't you just side drift these bobber rigs? We really want to fish that run and I don't want to miss out because somebody else is in it, so we'll pass up all this other open swing water."

End of day: "This is the run I was talking about swinging, but it's getting late and we should probably just keep side drifting beads to the take out because it's been working. Not enough time to really fish this run well."

You also want to make absolute sure you have at least 4 rigged spey rods visible on your hood AT ALL TIMES. Put the bobber rods in the back where nobody can see them...you don't want anybody to steal your secret bead color.

While you're at it...make sure you buy a $60,000 truck and put on the most impractical lift kit you can find with the largest tires that you can possibly squeeze into the wheel wells.

14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Put in at 3:00 AM every day and row like mad for the first hour to ensure you get first water.
    SF

Cougar Zeke likes this.
  15. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Let's game this out a little farther. I think too many people get hung up on “the fish”. Keep the focus on your inner awesome. Here’s where I’m going Mr. Beer Manager . . If you keep a pony keg of some dank IPA in the 8% range and a mason jar of local bud in the boat, what else do you have to prove? Smooth sailing from here on out . . .you'll be a legend in your rookie season.