Any tips for an up and coming steelhead guide?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Swimmy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. bk paige

bk paige Wishin I was on the Sauk

It would take a very large mason jar to keep up with Danny!

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I think we all know someone like Danny.

3. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Be sure to swing through Clarkston on your way to Forks and catch the WDFW Guide Meeting.

Be sure to tell them that your guiding exploits have only increased the fishing experiences for everyone on the Madison, Mo, Big Hole, and Beaverhead. Also, don't miss the opportunity to flaunt your safety record to operate around 5 other boats in one bucket. You are Swimmy and this is probably already understood of course.

troutpocket and Yard Sale like this.
  4. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

This is so sad cause it's true.

pbunbury likes this.
  5. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

That kid is a lightweight in more ways than one. I bet I could throw that little girl like fifty feet. I wouldn't though cause he's so cute. He reminds me of the little guy in Legend.

bk paige likes this.
  6. bk paige

bk paige Wishin I was on the Sauk

He is little,

dustinchromers and troutpocket like this.
  7. Tim Ihle

Tim Ihle Active Member

Hi Swimmy,
    It’s a very tuff time to be a steelie guide and even when the fish runs are good it makes guiding for trout look like child’s play. Every fishery worth guiding on is already being loved to death by guides and non guided anglers, are at the moment fragile fisheries, and frankly over used. The steelie culture is also very different than the trout culture and can bring out the worst in people especially if they detect that “you ain’t from around here boi are ya”. There is an edge to the world of hunting steelies that doesn’t exist in the arena of trout chasers, and, at times, it’s a real bummer.
    I really admire your desire to spread your wings but in all truth it’s a resource that is steadily dwindling yet the number of anglers continues to grow. It is not sustainable.

And then there’s the Indian net fisheries on the OP that love to drop a net right below you.....

Have you considered being a back country ski/snowboarding guide?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  8. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

The regs pamphlet is your guide to a successful career. I would love to see you finish out the year with a triple digit season. So many fish, so much time.
    I have seen your portfoilio of pics and i am a true believer.
    I appreciate your desire and efforts to target the native and wilds.
    Please track and chart your successes, i would like a full report.

Bait is your friend.

Enjoy the ride.

#deephookset

9. mcoomer

mcoomer Active Member

Hell, I'm ready to book now. I ain't wearing no Simms shirts though. I've already got their boots, waders, jacket, wading staff, wading belt, hip pack, sling pack, back pack, vest, lanyard, trucker hat, license plate frame, beer koozy, flask, pint glasses and growler. The shirts would be too much and make people think I'm a label whore.

10. Swimmy

Swimmy Riffle > Run > Pool

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
    Guys, I've been doing a little more research and it looks like there are some rivers that allow motorized access. I've never been in a boat like this but seen a couple videos and it looks bad ass. There is a guide school over here that only charges $5,000 for a couple days learning how to run one. I think I'm going to get signed up.

I really like the idea of guiding multiple anglers. Not only could it be a better opportunity to spread our message regarding conservation, but more important just look how much fun they are having.

I'm really getting stoked.

[​IMG]

golfman44, dustinchromers, MD and 6 others like this.
  11. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

It should be obvious to the most casual observer that you're going to need to get sponsored by Alumaweld. Get them to build you the first Swimmy Mega-V, none of these puny 25-footers limited to only 250 Hp. Seven Marine 627 and for sure, you'll be the first upstream or downstream and styling with LED lighting. Go!

Jim Ficklin and troutpocket like this.
  12. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Your doctor may insist that you get a respirator to run that tiller handle from 3 AM to 6 PM seven days a week. But tell Doc that you're from Montana and 15 hours of CO2 is nothing from where you come from. He'll feel better when you tell him that he can keep an eye on you by watching Cowlitz Live.

golfman44, Salmo_g and troutpocket like this.
  13. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

You need to shift your focus to unexploited niches. I would suggest fly plunking. A spey rod has the perfect length to be a good plunking stick, you just need to bump the line weights up a bit. A 30 wt. should handle 4 oz of lead I would think. I imagine a hobo spey would look mighty sexy hanging behind 4 oz. right in a travel lane and should put plenty of fish on the bank. Don't forget the bells!

I would focus on the lower Duwamish. It's close, and thus convenient, to the majority of your potential clients. No 5 hour drive needed when they book with you. If that gets blown up on insta the lower Puyallup may be a good backup (shhhhhh, just between us). The fish might be few and far between on some days, but just remind your clients its about the experience first, the fish come second.

At the start I would encourage you to be flexible in your business practices. Why limit yourself to just monetary payment? This area has a long, proud tradition of a barter economy (the Chinook jargon was invented as a trading language to facilitate the early barter economy here). By helping to keep that alive you would be paying homage to this area's original inhabitants, thus hopefully alleviating any guilt your clients may feel for fishing on stolen land. Heroin is currently plentiful and should bring a good return when exchanged. I would start there and then look to diversify.

You're welcome.

14. napawino

napawino Banned or Parked

Snohomish County, sometimes Missoula County
    Don't you guys know when you are getting your leg pulled?

Cougar Zeke likes this.
  15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Looks like humpy seasons of old on the Skagit...

troutpocket likes this.