anybody know anything about:

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by ak_powder_monkey, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

this rod?
    [​IMG]

I'm refinishing it sweet little stick imo

2. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I have an FL112-9 blank in new condition - same color and presumably vintage. I found mine a few months ago in the back of a closet. I probably bought it around 30 years ago and simply forgot about it. Don't really know much more than I have been told it would make great salmon/steelhead rod. Curious to what you find out.

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

That would be a 7' rod for 5 wt line. Probably a nice small stream rod. I have a 7 1/2' for 6 wt in 4 piece that I have used backpacking a few times, along with a 6' for 4 or 5 wt, an 8 1/2' for 7 wt., and 8 1/2' for 8 wt. Fenwick made one of the best lines of fiberglass fly rods from the 60s through the 80s. Your yellow blank looks like one from the 70s. Does it have metal ferrules, in which case it would be older?

Sg

5. rockthief

rockthief ^ me and Bridger

it is a wonderful blank. I fish it more than any of the other rods I have. Enjoy! I use mine of every type of fly, rivers
    stillwater. It is a versatile rod.

6. ak_powder_monkey

well at least I know the line weight... I can't find anything on it with a google search... also the numbering on it 84-5 = 84 inches 5 weight?

7. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I think you are right that 84-5 = 84 inches and 5 wt. My FL112-9 is 112" - an odd number and someone who knows a lot about these old Fenwicks told me the last number was the line wt.

I'm curious as to whether the line weights of 30+ years ago are the same ones used today.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    What Lugan said. I built a lot of rods in my youth on the Grizzly Fenwick blanks. Usually they didn't have ferrules (brown blanked Fenwick blanks had the ferrulite usually). Used to buy them at Schoffs in Kent. I still have one of these unbuilt in my garage. Rusty on ratings. But do know a lot of these came as a one piece and you cut blank to suit action you wanted. Ferrule placement did effect stiffness. We used 7 wt flyrods for our side drifting rods. Cut low in blank you would get a softer action. In fact I have a 7wt I built into a soft summerrun steelhead flyrod around 1980. O'rads even casted it. Fun rod even on trout.

Definitely an older blank.

9. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Jerry/Lugan; I looked at the fiberglass fly rod page Lugan posted the link to above. All of those Fenwick rods begin with FF. ak_powder_monkey and my rod are models that begin with FL.

apm, don't mean to hijack your thread, but as I stated above, I have a similar blank.

Guys, I apologize if I didn't see a link that would list these rods, but everything I found had models starting with FF.

Thanks in advance for any clues as to the heritage of the rods/blanks.

Steve

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Steve, on factory built rods, the distinction was FF, but on blanks it was FL for flyrod. :)

11. ak_powder_monkey

ok so FL is the blank, interesting... here's what Fenwick said

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    AK Fenwick isn't that "Fenwick" anymore. They've been bought a few times and don't even make blanks for public sale anymore (I think). I grew up Fenwick. Was the creme dela creme of rods. If you were a real steelheader you had one. Think they were bought out first time in the 80s. I'm a Fenwick man not a historian. But still have some old schwag and patches they gave out back then. Even a few old catalogs. Have a feeling last time they were bought out they just dumped all those files rather then convert to a computer document.

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

14. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I contacted Fenwick several months ago when I found the blank and got the same response. Jerry's right the Fenwick name lives on but the original company has been sold many times over.

I'm pretty sure I bought my blank at Schoff's in Kent too. If I remember, they used to have a barrel full of blanks. A couple of weeks ago I found a 7' Lamiglass fiberglass rod I made 30+ years ago. I'm sure I also got it at Schoffs. I think it was a fly rod blank that I made into an ultra-light spinning rod. (I can't read the model number anymore.) I've stripped it down and am rebuilding it.

15. rockthief

rockthief ^ me and Bridger

yes, FL = blank to be built by the buyer or whomever. In their later good years Fenwick Woodstream also sold blanks but they were brown instead of that way cool yellow.