Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anyone ACTUALLY received Scadden power stroke oars?

Boats 
20K views 132 replies 40 participants last post by  chromefinder 
#1 ·
I know this is a pro Scadden forum and will probably have to be my only post, but I have been waiting for almost 3, count them, 3 months for 2 sets of power stroke oars. One set was to be for using it frameless and the other for using with the frame. I still have not received either set. I was wondering if anyone who has ordered them since February 1, 2013 has actually received them. I know he has substituted the lite speed oars for the power strokes on some occasions, even though that is not what the customer wanted.

#93 ·
I was thinking compared to whatever quality estrogen supplements you seem to be prescribed to.
Sounds like a standard burn from an Internet search. I can't fault you though - your endocrine system and cognitive function has suffered significant damage to date due to sustained contact with "good quality" inflatable PVC boats that have been leeching chemicals through your skin into your blood stream. If you keep it up you may end up with an incurable condition called "sportsmans syndrome" which is similar to Tourette's only instead of swearing randomly you make random and uninstigated statements without any basis in reality or truth.

#97 ·
As I have posted before I have two Scadden bladderless boats, never had any problems with them. I have a 10 footer and a twelve footer, also a couple of inflatable Hypalon boats. It has always been my opinion that balloons belong at birthday parties not in pontoons. :D The last statement will get the gang going.:rolleyes:

#98 · (Edited)
When your boats only get used 2-3 times per year on a class 1 River they should last Mel. It's too bad your boats don't see any real whitewater - maybe you can come run the Thompson gorge with me this summer? I'm hoping to take my 11 foot Outcast there sometime in the next couple months.

#101 ·
Well I did run the Quesnel River canyon in 1971 in a 14 foot Avon, no balloons in it either. Did Tamahi in June in the same boat, I do think that your dad was trying to figure out what that little thing was in his diapers at about the same time. :D We did black Canyon in the same boat, running white water is not a new discovery. Probably the maker of outcast boats father hadn't even had a wet dream in those days. We even looked seriously at the Lilloet rapids a couple of times but decided that a 14 foot double ended inflatable was a we bit small. You have to remember that old guys just may have done most of what you have just discovered. I use to hang with friends on Squamish rock and Cashmere rock. Been to the summit of Edith Clavell as well as a winter ascent of Mt. Assiniboine. So before you assume things and what my boats are used for now, remeber the Age of some of us. Oh and the Saturday of the drift my jet boat took a fair amount of water over the stern in Waterloo Eddy on the Columbia so I found that Adrenalin still flows..:eek: :D

#102 ·
But nothing worth noting in the Scadden boats in question? Never said you hadn't done whitewater. But I just took a 14 day whitewater guide course where we kicked the living piss out of 16 foot commercial Aire rafts that are 20 years old and a Scadden boat would have been ready for the dumpster after what we put these boats through. Seriously.

Referencing buddy for advice on what makes a good raft isn't a good idea.

G
#104 ·
Back to the oar thing, These oar and sawyer sst's are seemingly hard to come by. I was told Sawyer is restructuring & that's where the problem is the oars in question are made by sawyer for scadden and therefore back ordered. I'm waiting for a local dealer to get some to try myself.!

#108 ·
Nope My preference for bladderless boats goes back to before that Avon, to the Zodiacs that I owned. Mark 1 Grande Raid 10.5 foot and Mark 2 Grande Raid 12.5 foot 1400 denier Hypalon both, with doubled bottoms. Bladdered boats are just the cheap way to make boats, they should come with a penis shaped zipper pull as that is the only place zippers work well. :D:D:D

#114 ·
Everybody else is wrong, everybody else has an agenda, but believe me when I tell you that his customer service is great for 99.9% of his customers. OK!!!

I met 3 people in 5 days floating the Sky roughly 4 years ago who had the wrong items shipped or were already having problems with the lack of quality of the boat. 2 had incomplete packages shipped and 1 person was watching his new boat come apart at the seams with every oar stroke and temperature change. I floated with that person the rest of the day to make sure he made it to the takeout. None were forum members and they had no idea the reputation of the company before buying.

I only spoke to 4 people with NFO boats, I'd say your numbers are off a bit. Add my experiences to those numbers and you now have a whopping 80% whose purchase experience fell a bit short of being acceptable. Since than I've talked to a couple dozen and it's far from 99.9% who are pleased with their purchase. I fish a lot, and I like talking boats.

The ONLY reason I bother to post on these topics is because people like you come on here and try to tell the world that it's all an illusion, that everyone else is lying, that everyone who posts a negative word has some sort of agenda.

Calling Dave a victim of anything is laughable. If I ran my business like that, I'd be punching a time clock at Boeing.

#115 ·
Everybody else is wrong, everybody else has an agenda, but believe me when I tell you that his customer service is great for 99.9% of his customers. OK!!!

I met 3 people in 5 days floating the Sky roughly 4 years ago who had the wrong items shipped or were already having problems with the lack of quality of the boat. 2 had incomplete packages shipped and 1 person was watching his new boat come apart at the seams with every oar stroke and temperature change. I floated with that person the rest of the day to make sure he made it to the takeout. None were forum members and they had no idea the reputation of the company before buying.

I only spoke to 4 people with NFO boats, I'd say your numbers are off a bit. Add my experiences to those numbers and you now have a whopping 80% whose purchase experience fell a bit short of being acceptable. Since than I've talked to a couple dozen and it's far from 99.9% who are pleased with their purchase. I fish a lot, and I like talking boats.

The ONLY reason I bother to post on these topics is because people like you come on here and try to tell the world that it's all an illusion, that everyone else is lying, that everyone who posts a negative word has some sort of agenda.

Calling Dave a victim of anything is laughable. If I ran my business like that, I'd be punching a time clock at Boeing.
PT, I defer to your experience. I just haven't ever experienced first hand what you have, actually a polar opposite. And punching a time clock at Boeing is a damn good career, with fantastic benefits, and after 6 years you make top dollar for your grade. Granted, no one gets rich working for someone else, but you are a jerk attempting to degrade Aerospace Machinist!!!!!!!!!!!

#116 ·
Come on Sportsman - do you really expect us to believe you have 45 years of experience buying rafts? It's more like 6 months experience 90 times. And we see in your case experience buying doesn't equate to any learning from past mistakes. But then again you don't post in a blind emotional rage ever right?

#117 ·
Are you really that easily offended? If so, that can't be much fun.

P.S. Didn't know you worked there in the first place.

Explains why you get upset when someone says a bad word about your favorite boat builder. Some people are just looking for reasons to be offended.

#119 ·
Are you really that easily offended? If so, that can't be much fun.

P.S. Didn't know you worked there in the first place.

Explains why you get upset when someone says a bad word about your favorite boat builder. Some people are just looking for reasons to be offended.
Favorite boat builder? I have bought ONE used scadden in my lifetime. And I was just educating you[ and others] on how great a career at Boeing can be. Some 20 year old starts and in 6 years is maxed out at a grade 4 and with a little OT can gross $100,000.00 a year, with excellent benefits. Do you think half of the WFF members make that much?

#126 ·
I will only buy a scadden boat from now on. Too many horror stories about people dying in drift boats. Never heard of someone dying in a scadden

Send me the wrong color oars? Shame on you.

Get me killed? Fuck you.
Nobody dies cuz they can't get out on the water. ....waiting for parts. Lol.

#127 ·
I think everyone should post their horror stories about any product they have had a bad experience with. It's the only access we have to negative press unless we know someone with a bad experience or run into them on the water. Otherwise, all we get is one-sided advertising. It's very helpful to someone trying to make a decision. Sure, people can say whatever they want online, and exaggerate the truth, or post during peaks of frustration, but I think for the most part people are trying to be helpful by warning others. It isn't fair to consumers to discourage this negative feedback. And it isn't fair to label those who post negative feedback "liars" or "disgruntled with an agenda".

I ignored the warnings, bought my Scadden pontoon, and had a bladder defect that could not be repaired. They admitted it was a common defect with their bladder and so they changed their design. According to the warranty it should have been replaced, or a reasonable alternative offered. It couldn't be replaced because it was discontinued. Their reasonable offer was to sell me their new product at a discount. It wasn't a very good deal to me so I replaced the pontoons with another brand. 100% true story. If I bought another one of his products and it goes bad before the warranty period, I would fully expect to have to cough up a lot more money to stay on the water. My experience with warranties from other companies is far superior so I will move on to another brand. That makes a bad experience for 100% of the people I know with a Scadden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.