Anyone care to join in a bit of "wild steelhead on the menu" fun?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Burck, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

No response yet to me. Not even an auto generated one. I'd like to hear thier thoughts on this. We should have the rays guy call mccormick and tell em its not worth it to have steelhead on the menu.

2. guybg

guybg New Member

sent

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Thank you.

4. guybg

guybg New Member

Classic, Old Man....:D

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    One idea: Perhaps we should suggest these restaurants turn to selling "Columbia River Steelhead" which are net pen raised triploids sold as steelhead. The consumers who are dumb enough to buy wild steelhead certainly won't be smart enough to tell a difference.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

No response to my previous email. A phone call today resulted in a rather terse response of "we have changed our menu, thank you". As I look at it now it is Washington Steelhead, not Washington Wild Steelhead. Follow up email en route as to the source of this Washington Steelhead (no longer listed as Wild). Smoke and Mirrors or are they only serving pen raised or hatchery fish now? I don't know. Anyone else know?

7. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    call the reservations # and ask what "specials" they have.........then decline a reservation.......
    if we jammed the line from 4-6pm every day for a few days that also might get their attention.
    mccormick is a corporate type restuarant vs Ray's independent operation, thus, a different approach may be necessary to get results.
    JD

8. Matt Smith

I'll have to do that, too bad they are in portland, a group of us could go in get a table, and when we see wild steelhead on the menu politely walk out. This is going to be my policy when I go out to eat.

9. Matt Smith

I just called to make a reservation, when I asked about their specials she hummed and hawed then told me about the dungeness crab. When I asked about the wild steelhead on the menu, she just said it was washington steelhead, there was no manager available to speak with for further answers to my questions

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
  11. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

No reply. The next step should be publishing a list of on-complying businesses, but Ii don't pretend to know how to best present the issue to consumers.

12. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Evan, as I'm sure you know, Wild Columbia River Steelhead are listed as endangered and are much worse off than the OP stocks. The last thing we need is for consumers to start thinking that the Columbia River wild steelhead stocks are healthy enough to consume. I want those net pen triploids marketed as trout, not steelhead, though getting a law to change that will be uphill battle against fishagribusiness.

Here is the Pacific Aqualculture (a div. of Pacific Seafood) website; they describe the Rufus Woods Net Pens as a "Steelhead Farm" where they raise 'Steelhead". I bet that their customers don't know that they are buying genetically modified triploid trout! http://www.pacseafood.com/content/pacificaqua_location.pdf

Steelhead is a game fish and can only be sold by treaty fisherman and Pacific Seafood does not appear to be a tribal business. Selling a game fish is a WDFW violation so why would someone falsely label a fish that is illegal to be sold (in WA), except "Columbia River Steelhead" sounds better than "Columbia River Mutant Trout raised in a net pen and fed on fish pellets". Pacific Sea Food is an OR business but their farm, Pacific Aquaculture, is located in WA so I'm hoping WDFW can do something about it. Maybe letters to Frank Dulcich, president of Pacific Seafood, are in order.

13. Jacob Mitchell

Jacob Mitchell New Member

E-mailed them...it is amazing how ignorant people are on the steelhead issue

14. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

This is grass roots activism, friends, and it works. Email sent, no response received. It usually doesn't take long for these folks to get the message.

Thanks for lighting them up on this.

15. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Thanks for the list Evan. I'll be sending out e-mails.