Anyone do bamboo re-wrap/refinish?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ed Call, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I have a 359, 8 1/2ft. Its a solid 5wt. Its a great rod. Don't draw any preconceived notions based on hearsay about that H-I either. It may also be a good fishing rod

Here is an article on how to recondition that silk line. Its really easy.
    http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?cleaningsilk
    Also an article on silk lines in general.
    http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?silk

You really should do yourself a big favor and use that line. Your rods made for it.

TC

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Thanks again all, and Tim, great resource links. I'm going to fish that H-I, maybe as soon as tomorrow with a conventional line. I'm not concerned with what it is worth but more want to know if it fishes well enough to make an outing more fun than sitting in the cubicle of confinement that has held me too long. I'm gonna start with a 4 or 5 wt line to see how they load, this rod seems to have a pretty smooth flex but is far less firm than the South Bend.

When I can make some time I'll give refinishing that line a shot and gettign some snake guides replaced on the South Bend and trying it out.

3. Jasony

Jasony New Member

There was a guy in Edmonds that was building bamboo rods from scrach- and refinishing old rods-

I believe his name is Ray Gould?

However I may be mistaken.

It was 10 years ago that I used him- He dose beautiful work- seems like I recall he fished BC alot. Had a very nice shop, in his basement.

4. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Ed, I looked up the South Bend 323 in Michael Sinclair's Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook. It was one of their top-of-the line rods, and one that would definitely be worth refinishing or restoring as a fishing rod. If you need some help with ferrules or straightening sections, let me know. Just out of curiosity, does your rod have a "comficient grip" with grooves and a thumb rest? These are really cool.

Like Scott and Tim, I've always admired South Bends. I have a 9' SB 359, probably like Scott's, that I picked up at a pawn shop a few years ago for $15 and refinished. It's a nice 6wt for casting middle distances. I once owned a 7-1/2' 290, which I think was one one of the best production rods ever made.

Tom

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Jasony, I'll do some searching.

Tom, yes, this south bend does have the comficient grip with the groves around the handle and the thumb rest indentation. As I get more time to look into what that rod needs to get back in service I'll let you know. Maybe since it was one of their top of the line models I should consider having someone much more skilled than I work it back into shape. Thanks.

6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

I don't know if Ray Gould is still doing this work or not.
    Dwight Lyons in Oregon specializes in bamboo repair and restoration and recently did wonders with a couple of F.E Thomas' and an old San Francisco era Winston bamboo steelhead rod for me.
    Try:

www.fdlyons.com

Enjoy them and fish 'em, Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.