Anyone do bamboo?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Shane Stewart, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I've got a few split cane rods, including two I made myself. Most of mine are lower end rods, like South Bend and Granger. I do have an Orvis Shooting Star and a 9 1/2' E.C. Powell. And as of a couple weeks ago, I've added to my Peter McVey collection, so I've got them in 5, 6, and 7 wt. I really love those, and Peter's workmanship is equivalent to Winston and T&T. My daughters will like inheriting those some day.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

2. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

Kent,you are right about the higher end rods, but you can still get great deals on the 8'.6" to 9' rods. They can be had for anywhere from $275 to $475,although you will pay much more for rods that are 8' or shorter. Having gone through the flyfishing catalogs, I was surprised how expensive name graphite rods have become.

Of course if you order a rod from a modern builder you will pay more,but one does not need to spend that much to get a quality bamboo fly rod. I have seen some excellent Granger rods for around $400. I think they are one of the best deals on the market,and are better fishing tools then any graphite rod that is out there. Also, Phillipson Bamboo fly rods are excellent rods ,and are still very affordable.

I guess it all comes down to the type of fishing you do. If you fish with short rods ( 8' or less) you will pay quite a bit more. However,if you use longer rods (8'.6" or longer) then there are plenty of excellent bamboo rods that are more affordable then the top end graphites.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

You're absolutely right about the longer rods being less in demand than shorter ones. What seems to drive that process is the large number of anglers from the midwest and east who generally target smaller fish on smaller streams. Because of that, a 7-1/2' rod will always fetch more than the same rod in 8', which will cost more than an otherwise identical 9' version.

For example, I picked up (almost stole!) a nearly-mint W&M Granger Special 9' 3/2 last winter for just a tick over $500 including shipping. Ray Gould said it's the best Granger he'd ever seen. Given it's condition, it was a good buy at $500. But a 7-1/2' version even in lesser condition would have cost closer to $1,000. Ditto Phillipsons, Devines, Orvis and others.

Grangers are a poster child for today's rapid escalation in prices for older rods. The same one I bought would have brought closer to $150-$200 five years ago. Now, they enjoy a reputation as a well-built 'western style' rod at a reasonable price. But a 300% increase in price over 5 years is anything but reasonable to some folks. If you frequent Clark's board, you'll know that the run-up in Granger prices is an ongoing sore spot with most old-time caneiacs.

Sadly, the bargains of a decade ago are all but gone and so for $275 to $450 these days, all one is most likely to find are either well-used lower-end rods like Montagues and Horrocks-Ibbotsons or better quality ones with issues like short or missing tips, sets, ferrule problems, deteriorating wraps or missing guides.

In other words, if you can find a good condition Granger Special at any length for $275 to $475, buy it. You can probably turn around and sell it the next week for a profit - maybe even a handsome one.

K

4. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Speaking of Ray Gould.
    I spent a few hours with him at his home last week.
    I went to pick up a rod that he had rewrapped for me and ended up lawn casting three or four of his own creations.
    He has a few models that he calls "double parabolic". This descriptive term is based on the stress curve, not the taper. Very interesting action. The rods can be cast off the tip for short casts or worked well down into the grip for long line, long stroke casts. Ray fishes in lakes from a small pram. These rods were developed for their ability to pick up a line and lay it back down in front of cruising fish with minimal or no false casting within a broad range of distance. Very interesting. He sells his new rods for 700-750. You will not get the impeccable finish and gem-like appearance of a new $1200.00+ rod but you will get an excellent and versatile fishing tool with top quality components and a well-developed action.

If you are not concerned with collectability, I think he offers a very solid deal for the money. Collectability and its associated cost, is governed by a set of variables not necessarily related to fishability and not always predictable. Much like the stock market.

He also makes a few models with an action intended for an easy transition from graphite, for those who are new to bamboo or do not really like a full flex action.

Other than as a recent customer, I am in no way associated with Ray. I just think that he has developed a line of rods well suited to the various conditions we have in the Northwest.

TC

5. Kent Lufkin

Ray's double parabolics were developed for fishing lakes in the BC interior. He's had a cabin on one for about 30 years and has it dialed in. I ran across a rave review of his double parabolic by accident some time back and have always meant to ask him about them. Glad to hear you had a chance to cast them. IMHO, his rods are a solid value, priced well below AJ Thramer's or any of the east coast makers.

K

6. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

Actually

I was referring to the lower end Grangers like the Champion,Victory and Stream and Lake. I have cast the higher end Grangers and cannot tell the difference. Also, Granger Rods are more expensive then the Wright Mcgill Granger Rods. Some people claim there is no difference between the two,but I think Granger rods are a bit slower.

My point is a person can buy a quality bamboo rod for less then what they would pay for a top end graphite. I just hope that people do not start figuring out how good some of the 60's fiber glass rods cast. I would hate to have to start paying over $150 for the top quality rods ,even though some are more expensive the that. This has been a great discussion.

P.S. Where I really fell in love with fishing bamboo was on the Blackfoot River with a Stream and Lake that I purchased for $325. I was going to sell it. Then I went to fish the Blackfoot and it was the only rod I had brought with me. About hafe way through the day I came to realize that I really liked this rod. I liked it so much I bought another one and Victory also. Fishing the Blackfoot with Bamboo just feels so right. I am sure Norman Maclean would agree with me. Tight Lines, Mark Harris.

7. Kent Lufkin

Actually

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Actually

ps. My wife dumped a glass of red wine over the keyboard of this comupter the other night. Now the backslash and question mark key doesn't work!

Yeah....now there is a little leverage you can use to your benefit regarding next needed (?) purchase. Of course........provided you didn't spill your IPA on her (yours..should we say) dining-table cloth.

9. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

There has been more then one thread

on Clark's site about whether or not there is a difference between Goodwin Granger Rods and Wright Mcgill Granger Rods. Some of the experts seen to think that Bill Phillipson may have tweaked the tapers. I Have owned 3 Goodwin Granger rods and sold all of them. It is my opinion that they have a softer action which I did not care for.

Who knows if there really is a difference. All I know is what I prefer,and that is the action of the W.M. Granger Rods, which also happen to have the advantage of being less expensivethen Goodwin Granger Rods. I have to admit I am a big Granger fan. Not because of Gierach,but the experience of fishing one for a day on the Blackfoot,and to think I was going to sell that rod after fishing it only once.

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

I have several Wright and McGill Rods...none are fly rods....but they all say made in Denver, USA. What about these older fly rods ? ....There is no doubt in my mind that the new Wright and McGill or Eagle Claw rods are made in the Far East. My point......Is Wright and McGill a model for what will happen to Winston (?) ...perhaps Sage.....at some point....I remember the day when shopping for fly rods there was no Sage, no Scott...it was Wright and McGill, and Fenwick...maybe a Berkley or two and I think ...oh yeah Orvis was in the mix?....History...those that read and know.....it repeats itself over and over...sometime in disguise....History can change...man apparently can't...GREED!

11. Kent Lufkin

Canedawg, while I don't have your depth of experience in Grangers, I do very much enjoy fishing the one I have. I've cast another board member's 8' Special and it brings the same grin to my face that my own 9' does.

Porter, I'm not sure about the siren song of Grangers that Canedawg, Jed, Cliff and I all hear. Perhaps it's because they were designed and developed in Colorado. While they do have a following in the midwest and east, Grangers (and Phillipsons and Devines) seem better suited to our larger-than-life landscape and the fish that live here than rods intended for smaller waters and fish in the midwest and east.

That's not a knock on either those rods or the fishing they were designed for. It's just that Grangers seem more appropriate out here - sort of like taking a 4wd truck on a fishing expedition instead of a minivan.

K

12. dawwgboy

dawwgboy New Member

Kent, not to jump off topic but you missed a great Metolius show! A.J. had some new Granger h.b.'s that were really nice. There were also a large number of vintage Granger's for the taking. In talking tapers with A.J., the Goodwin Granger's were a bit faster than the W & M tapers. I personally prefer the W & M tapers myself. Gary Lacey of Granger Rods now builds them with either taper as the customer prefers.

13. Kent Lufkin

I read softstick's article on the event on Clark's the other day. I especially appreciated the photos and the opportunity to see that neither AJ or Chris McDowell look at all like I'd pictured them :-D The shot showing the rack of cane rods in front of a porch was especially impressive.

K

14. Kent Lufkin

To my earlier point about soaring Granger prices, here's a couple recently listed on Clark's:

Granger Favorite 7'6" 3/2, full length and original, orig bag and tube, excellent plus, would be 100% mint if it had plastic on the grip……………$1500

Granger Favorite 8'6" 3/2 5wt, full length and original, orig bag and tube………………$950

K

15. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

There was also a 8' 6" WM Granger Deluxe for sale that was described as "in excellent conditon" for $475 + S.I. I agree the shorter Goodwin and WM Granger rods are off the chart. I am glad I prefer 8' 6" bamboo rods and like the Phillipson fibergalss rods 8' and shorter over 8' and shorter bamboo.