Anyone else just crazy obsesed with smallmouth bass?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Jason Wood, Oct 17, 2008.

1. exak_fisher

exak_fisher New Member

To Alaska Powder Monkey... I am a recent relocate to Western Washington from Alaska. I live in a community with a private lake with LM bass, trout, perch, crappie and carp. Although it's handy, it' not Alaska. Enjoy where you are. You may find yourself having to move south and you'll be missing what you had..... Like me.

2. Mark Speer

Mark Speer It's all good.....

3. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Well, there is my reference to the "steelhead" river coming full circle. Duffer

4. Jason Wood

Jason Wood Guest

Hell yeah ants! Dry fly takes are what makes fishing so exciting to me in the first place!

5. flyfish_pimp

flyfish_pimp $2 coyote steak

Yeah they are pretty much the best...if I had to pick a "spot" for smallies in WA, I would say the Ronde or the Snake are two of your best bets - at least on foot. With boat access, there are better places.

Flies - I have caught them on a lot of different patterns, they really dont seem to be that picky if you can get the fly in front of them. All flies mentioned by the other guys here work for me, but I can tell you last year on the Ronde I used a chartruese sparkle grub (here is one in pearl, which would work as well - http://www.carolinaflyfishingclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407). Great pattern to flick out into the current and jig/swim above the riprap...I caught about 15-20 in an hour or so. I suppose my favorite smallie pattern has to be Luke's Flippin' Fly...tied by a friend of mine: http://www.spiritriverflies.com/fly_patterns/dry_flies20_a.php (see pic at bottom of page). Has everything a bass fly should, rattle, flash, bunny, rubber legs, oversized hook/head/eyes, and rides weedless - point up. Can be fished any way you want, though he created it to literally flip it at structure (like docks, pads, rock walls) like the guys on the BASS shows do with a spinnerbait on tv. It works, trust me. Caught my largest smallie this year in VA on that fly - 21 inch female.

6. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I find myself day dreaming about a week or so this last spring that were just insane.

It was Lake Whatcom, around spawning beds with poppers. 20 or so to hand and nothing smaller than 2 pounds with the biggest about 4.5 while fishing under a full moon.

Tie up some classic half red, half white poppers and go out on a full moon when the barometer hasn't moved for a while (this takes some luck but happens around here). It can be EPPPPIIIICCCC.

7. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

the hands down hottest fish ive ever hooked (and fortunately landed) was a 6lb smallie i pulled out of lake goodwin. 23" x 19" ill dig up a pic and post it sometime. that thing was one BADASS fish. i would love to get a mount made someday i will probably never top that one. They have so much power for their size. Its all in that tail.

8. Jason Wood

Jason Wood Guest

6 lbs? Damn.....

9. TC

TC I live with wind knots

Hear Dat!!! Grew up in Wasilla, moved to CA and am trying to make my way back up, but this is as far north as I can get my wife. DANG I miss it. Even if there are bass down here. I'll take a salmon on the little su or ship creek any day over a bassie.

10. chattmr

chattmr has never caught a steelhead... (its sad, I know)

Home Page:
    If you ever come to Alabama, drop me a line--we'll get you into spotted bass, redeye bass, and shoal bass . Even better than Smallies and Bucketmouths!

Coach D - You are not the only one, Yuhina uses a spey and a switch for bass here in Alabama, while standing in a river right next to gun-toting bait-chunking tobacco-spitting rednecks. Talk about some funny looks... (until he totally out-fishes them, that is!)

11. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

iagree

What he said.

redeye rock bass too.

12. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Banks is filled. The highway follows for 15+ miles and parallels many rip raps that all hold tons of fish. Get a boat and you won't be able to fish all the water in 20 trips. I've logged lots of hours there, and I still find new places every trip. High density lines and fast retrieves.

13. u2ill

u2ill Playing on the Palouse

Home Page:
    Ah...nuuanu stream...fished it many times...Kaukonahua is my personal favorite on Oahu for smallies...maybe just because it lets me get a good hike in as well!

If only the trout streams on Kauai had bass in the same places as the trout!

14. u2ill

u2ill Playing on the Palouse

Home Page:
    Ah...nuuanu stream...fished it many times...Kaukonahua is my personal favorite on Oahu for smallies...maybe just because it lets me get a good hike in as well!

If only the trout streams on Kauai had bass in the same places as the trout!

As for Eastern Washington, plenty of stream with smallies in the 12-15" range.

15. flytyerboy95

flytyerboy95 Future fly fishing guide

dude ever since i caugth a 4.5'er on my first time ive loved that fish :) :) :)