Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anyone have pompano experience?

855 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Mems 
#1 ·
I hope to hook one of these "mini permits" later this month.

Any good pomp stories out there?

#5 ·
I've caught plenty around boat channels in Florida (sandy bottom with moving current). We caught them on gear bouncing shrimp jigs while current drifting.

Blackened pompano is pretty amazing... heck, Pompano cooked anyway is great.

If you want a fight, look for ladyfish. Damn those things tear it up. They run like tarpon.

#10 ·
If you want a fight, look for ladyfish. Damn those things tear it up. They run like tarpon.
Ladies have been feeding heavily early morning and late evening with some light feeding in between. Basically running up and down the beach chasing the schools as they bust bait. Good workout and a lot of fun on fly! No other species yet, unless you count the porcupine fish I stepped on.

The ladyfish are incredibly acrobatic and will pull some line quick.
Cloud Water Sky Shorts Azure

#6 ·
Where are you going? Pompano in florida and the gulf are a delicacy but tough to catch. The Gafftop are in Mexico and were small but readily took a fly. The guides took them home, they are one of the best tasting fish. If you only ate shrimp and crabs you would taste good too. We caught kagami, african pompano down in baja and they were great eating. I have only caught a couple of them here in Hawaii, very rare fish.

I caught this one in baja on an 8wt with an intermediate line. I used a heavy clouser and jigged in in the rocks. The guides got all excited when I caught it, they called in all the other boats. It was delicious.

Here is a little gafftop. On the same rod, not much of a fight, but the guides loved to eat them. Mems.

#9 ·
I make my own leaders, 20lb butt, 15lb transition and 12lb tippett. If I am fishing lighter flies, and smaller fish 15lb butt and 12lb tippett. I use all fluro and join with a triple surgeons. When you consider a tapered leader is like $12 it just makes sense to make my own. I like my leaders around 9 feet unless it is skinny water, then I like them 12 feet. I have fished Destin, have a cousin who lives in Pensacola, but have not fished there. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.