Anyone looking foward to chum?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Peter Pancho, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Your TiCrX 8wt is really a 9wt with an 8wt label. My new to me chum rod is the same as yours and I'm not worried about it breaking at all. If it does, a cool check for $25 and a week of transit time and TFO will have it back in your hands. Stimulate the economy and buy another rod if you need to...I've got a 10wt that I won't be using...or use the tools in your happy hands!

2. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

I was just worried about the TFO because I got a deal of a life time and never could afford it brand new. I have been using it for pinks in the salt and its a pretty stout rod. I like the fast action of the rod. Really smooth and easy to cast. I really like it over my Reddington CPS fast action. There is a difference between between the two fast action. Now back to the topic of this thread, when do the chum start roaming the south sound? Are they like pinks where they will come in schools along the shore really close in???

3. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    After breaking my TFO Teeny 8wt on Chums 2yrs ago, I used what I thought was a weak backup, my 6wt TFO Ticrx. I honestly could not break it on those dogs, I seriously put the bend on them and that 6wt was a serious work horse! Ticrx rods are Strong rods, there would be no way you can break your 8wt ticrx on those puppies.

There are literally only 2 ways in breaking a rod while fishin: High stick landing or chinking the graphite while casting, which makes the blank weak then eventually breaks...

4. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

My goal this year is too land a chum on my 7 weight.

5. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

I was thinking last night that the new TFO clouser rod would be one hell of a work horse too.. Being a little shorter and stouter to chuck those clousers and other big weighted flies.

6. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Tom, your 8wt would do just fine, that is what I use for all my salmon fishing. Though if you are in the market for a new rod and that itch is a itchin, well I've been there too and a new rod scratches that itch pretty well.

Even, I'm usually fishing during the week, with the exeption of last week where I sorta just veggied out at home. I'll probably be on the Sky all week, with a possible trip to the Stilly. I work in the evenings, so I get to do some fishing in the day.

I too am waiting for the Chum to start running, but at the same time hoping I'm not as dissapointed as last year (which was supposed to be a good run).

7. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Ed, I think you'd be fine with the NR because the extra length will help as more of a shock absorber. I'd consider that rod to be more like a 9 wt. You'll be fine, that rod was made to be strong in the butt section.

I probably landed over 300 Pinks during my month and half ravage, so I am a bit outside the norm, so the 6 wts. got worked over pretty well. My 8 wt. Classic GLX is not replaceable, BUMMER, so I have requested at 10' 5 wt. Streamdance GLX to add to the Chironomid arsenal since I missed out on your Scott that you recently sold.

If anyone is interested in a 9'6" 8wt. Loomis Adventure series rod, I'll be putting it up for sale, just for the Chums! Post to follow...

Looking forward to it, but still not over the Coho just yet.

8. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Me too. Z Axis. Great warranty. Lets rock dogs!

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I'm ready to tangle with some chumlies, but I'm not quite done yet with the Ho's. Ended up hooking two silvers yesterday but both escaped their appointment with the bbq.
    Nothing I like better then fishing into a stiff north wind....;)
    I did see another fly angler land a very nice silver. Congrats Dave if you read this forum.

Tommy,
    I'm just the opposite of you. I like my CPS way better then my TiCR-X. In fact, I ended up selling the TiCR-X. I found it way to stiff for my casting stroke. That is one thing we all have going for us, the different choices in rods that are available today. We've never had it better.
    I won't be concerned with using you TFO on chums. As noted, TFO has great customer service should anything happen to it.

Think purple or cerise for chums instead of chartreuse.

On a side note, if anyone has a CPS 8 wt for sale, please shot me a PM.

10. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

Stonefish has the right idea, "Think purple or cerise for chums instead of chartreuse."

purple works well i caught a few chummys on purple yarn last year.

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

ahh chums... Every time I went out for chums this year I ended up catching this:
    [​IMG]
    then this
    [​IMG]
    then this
    [​IMG]
    finally got the yummy chummy
    [​IMG]

yea those suckers are pretty big and tough when they are fresh...

12. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

I have two 7 weight z-axis rods just in case. :thumb:

13. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    AKPM, just rub it in buddy. Four species all in the same watershed???? Lucky duck.

14. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    what kind of fish is the first one?

15. koolminx

koolminx Member

First one looks like an odd Walleye...

Where are you catching Chum so early?