Anyone making their own kayak paddles?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Bradley Miller, Oct 20, 2013.

1. John Weston

John Weston Member

I don't think Bradley cares about racing, he just wants a good paddle. an Aluit/Greenland paddle is very good to use and you can cover a lot of miles with them. I have been using them for 14 yrs and I like em better then anything I can get out of a store. I paddle a 20' double a lot by my self and I can paddle a long ways. so lets get back on track. Bradley is not a racer. he paddles a SoT kayak.
    Outlaw

2. martyg

martyg Active Member

Outlaw - if you read my post you will see that I was commenting on Jim's position in the link. I understand that Bradley is not interested in racing, and at 53 years of age my two goals in skiing, paddling, climbing, cycling, etc is to do things as efficiently as possible and to not get hurt. And if your technique is dialed paddling is effortless.

3. John Weston

John Weston Member

yep, I am 68 and my paddling has been dialed in for yrs. in 1990 to 1993 I put in a little over 50,000 mi. riding my road bike(cycling). back in the 80's I also climbed till I fell 300', I was tied in too my partner but got cut up a lot and banged around.
    Outlaw

Silvertone likes this.
  4. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Gentlemen:
    I've been happy to learn a little from each post on this thread......I was really more interested in the woodworking side of things than the paddling theory side, but hey; thats ok too.

I am going to continue to experiment with paddles and woods and construction techniques and paddling methods because it interests me and because it's a natural flow of interests that work well. At least for me. I am not competitive, nor do I race; however in most endeavors there are lots of things to learn from those that do.

My sea kayaking buddy says that the best advice is to step away from the keyboard and pick up a paddle. :)

I've been sidelined from both fishing and paddling since April because of health concerns, but I am looking forward to getting back on the water as time, season, and recovery allow. I keep my Aquabound paddle onboard all the time; but I do love picking up a cedar and walnut home made paddle that might be inefficient, but is certainly pretty; and actually move through the water with it. Life is good!

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I would continue to do your own thing as these experts can't seem to agree on whats proper in a paddle, I don't know any thing about a greenland style paddle or any other type. I myself prefer a ping pong paddle, but not nessarily for kayak paddleing!!!!