Anyone use a 'stripping basket' with their 2handers.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Yeah, I know, WW. Damn Orvis, anyway, lol . . .

2. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

If I'm spey casting I just rotate the basket to the hip that's away from the cast and it works just fine. With these high tides there's been a lot of crap in the water so a stripping basket is a big help.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

That is, if you use a spey rod in the salt. That being said, if I use a spey rod or a switch rod in the salt, I almost always am overhead casting and it doesn't get in the way of an overhead cast. Normally I use a single hand rod from the beach.

4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Late chiming in, but in addition to the rotation issue I would not want to wade moving water with something obstructing my view of my feet. Even if it is moved to the side I'd still be leary given the risk if you fall in.

fredaevans likes this.
  5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Fred, I've used my stripping basket many many times when DH fishing on freshwater lakes in a boat or on shore, on saltwater beaches, and when wading in weedy areas. Longest rod I've used with it is 12'6" though, and use a very compact stroke. Easy as all get out with a switch; I usually rotate the basket around to the port quarter, where my strips will coil right in and my view is unobstructed for wading. Makes a dandy place to put all the garbage you pick up the way back to the truck too.

6. afried

afried New Member

I always use a basket for saltwater beach fishing for salmon, whether with a single hander or a two handed rod and whether overhead casting or trying some spey kind of thing. The basket (an LLBean tub) is off my left hip so it doesn't get in the way on any kind of cast and really doesn't cause any vision problem in wading. Whatever inconvenience there is in lugging around another piece of gear is, for me, far outweighed by keeping the running line out of the water, vegetation and floating debris, as well as out from under my feet. I've yet to fall in with the basket on, but that day probably will come. I should add that I've never used the basket in a river and can't imagine that I ever would.

Andy