Anyone use Poppers for Residents in the Winter?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by South Sound, Dec 2, 2007.

1. South Sound

South Sound Member

I was curious if anyone has been very successful with poppers for resident silvers in the winter. I know they work relatively well in the Spring.

2. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Yes to poppers in the winter.
    Les

3. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Josh:

Over the past 6 winters I have often skated a floating sand lance pattern for resident coho and have had at times excellent fishing.

The main "ingredient" to have success with a surface pattern for resident coho in the winter is to look for aggressive fish. If you find a school of jumping resident coho, you have hit the "jackpot" for agressive fish. It is time to use a floating pattern and get into some fast and furious action. However, if a school of resident coho are feeding on amphipods(dimpling on water surface), it can be extremely difficult to hook them on a skated pattern as under these conditions the resident coho are very spooky and not very aggressive.

Roger

4. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

Good stuff/advice.

5. Nutty Squirrel

Nutty Squirrel Says: Smoke Salmon not Crack

Roger- Any photos available of your FT Sand Lance pattern I have heard so much about on this forum or are you going to make us hold on until Les's new book comes out this spring (I seem to recall reading that an image of your pattern was going to be in the new edition) Thanks for all of the advice on this site.

6. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I too, am eager to see this pattern. Would love to tie some up tonight!

7. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

We did get into some really good top action last winter. Roger made the key point about getting the fish to hit on top, and that's presenting to aggressive fish. I keep a rod with a floating line and popper rigged with line in the stripping basket all the time while we're casting bait patterns on our sinking lines. As soon as one guy hooks up, the other grabs the dry rig and casts the fly where the coho is splashing around. They go nuts competing for the popper, shouldering other fish out of the way and sailing through the air to land on the fly as it wakes along.

It would be an exaggeration to say the system works 100% of the time, but it's pretty close, so if you've got room in your boat, give it a shot.

8. Roger Stephens

Nutty Squirrel:

I sent you a PM that should help you out to tie the floating sand lance pattern before Les's book is available. It is tied as a tube pattern and is pretty easy to tie. However, it is a little time consuming as there are quite a few steps in the process.

As a side note, in January or February I would be willing to demonstrate how to tie the pattern at any fly shop in the general Seattle area on a weekday evening or saturday afternoon if there is enough interest and you or someone else knows of a fly shop that would be receptive.

Roger

9. Curtis

Curtis New Member

I would definitely be interested!!!!!

10. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Roger,

I would host a demo and seminar at the Orvis store this coming Jan or Feb.

Leland.

11. Roger Stephens

Leland:

Thanks that would be great. I can tie up 20 to 25 floating tube sand lance flies to give out plus a step-by-step handout on how to tie and fish it. I would prefer to do it in Feb. I'll send you a PM tomorrow or Monday to work out a date etc.

Roger

12. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Good Roger,

I am also putting together a big salmon fly fishing program and champagne party in March to celebrate the new Les Johnson/Bruce Ferguson/Pat Trotter new book. I hope to have all three authors here to sign copies. I'd love to have you there again.

Leland.

13. Roger Stephens

Leland:

I would love to be at the celebration of the new book. I'm sure that it will be packed and be a much anticipated joyeous event. My wife and I will be in Baja from March 3 to 17th. I hope that it will be later in the month so that I don't miss itbawling:

Roger