Anyone used these fancy rio anti twist spey swivels?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Sep 12, 2013.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

This is why I am confused. I fish Skagit heads almost exclusively. I would say I am handling 30 to 50 feet of line depending on the run being fished per cast. I get no line twist to speak of. Oh well. I guess I will have to live with it. No fancy over priced swivels for me

2. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

one cause of running line twist is not casting all of the line you have stripped off the reel. if you come tight every cast, you likely will have little to no line twist versus someone who doesn't cast all their line.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Interesting. Never heard this before. I have heard don't have more line out then you can cast comfortably. Wonder if line twist was the basis for that.

4. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

Ya what he said too...But I'm stickn to my guns bout the large dia. intermediates---just saying:D

5. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

I tried the loops vs coils. Don't get me wrong it does work well, but feels weird. There is another way though, when doing line pulls, count the pulls and go one less on the next to prevent tangles. So, for example pull in 5 times, next time 4, next time 3 etc. Also, it helps to hold the shooting line in the upper hand on the rod to keep it out of the water. There many ways to skin a cat just saying this works for me!

6. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

The line twist I speak of isn't probably what you're imagining. I'm not talking about what happens when you fish a blue fox spinner all day without a swivel. I'm not talking about a ratnest. It's a long process that over time leads to increased tangles at the first guide. Picking out those tangles create kinks. Kinks in high wear areas get worse and eventually the running line gets a little beat up. For me it's minor but that twisting does seem to be the culprit and a little preventative maneuver keeps your running line "fresh" and tangle free longer and makes for happy shooting and better fishing for me anyways.

I do agree shooting all your line and barking the hardy at the end not only feels good but does help the situation. But I've been known to hold onto a loop and let it feed into the drift on impact and help sink that fly a little more.... My $.02

danimal and JesseC like this.
  7. Jim B

Jim B Active Member