Archery hunters

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by JasonG, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Hunting is fabulous; killing is not. Many bowhunters struggle with the definition of "success". Having been seriously involved with both the wheel crowd and the stick & string bunch, I feel that the latter have a little bit better handle on the definition. I feel that if you are hell-bound to put meet on your table, go to the market. I hunt for the whole experience, and taking another life is, for me, very secondary. I've killed enough in my life. Some feel that they have to demonstrate their "manhood"; some want to say they can provide for their families; some go for the challenge. there are lots of different reasons why we hunt, but one thing is certain: once you release that arrow, you can't call it back. Make DAMN SURE that the shot will be the best you can make, resulting in a quick and humane kill.

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Nailed it, Alex. While I have cleanly dispatched a wide variety of game while using "sticks & string," I passed-up more critters than I ever considered shooting. Being "out there" was the real reward. Even though my Kids don't hunt, I have relayed the following to them & to others whom I have mentored over the years - it is relative to firearms, but the concept is universal: "The rubber thing on the rear of the this butt stock is called a recoil pad; it is NOT an eraser. Once your shot is on the way, there is no taking it back or "do overs." Be sure of your target, be sure of what is behind your target, be sure that you are taking a good shot and one that is unquestionably within your capability."

Alex MacDonald, Gene S and Salmo_g like this.
  3. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

Well said Sir

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  4. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

I like the ideal of core bore shots and getting your heart rate up. It seems like a more realistic way to pratice!

5. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Get started with a visit to a competent shop and get fitted for a bow. Like shotgunning, fit is very important.
    There is a ton of quality gear available on the second hand market.
    I bought a used Martin Moab fully outfitted and a dozen arrows for less than $400. A Trufire release and a case and I'm in for $500.
    Buy decent arrows.
    Buy a cheap target block and shoot as much as possible. I shoot about 5 days a week in my backyard.
    Get friendly with a range and ask questions.
    You can get shooting for less than $500.
    Pm me if you want.