Are they lures or steelhead flies?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by headstrong1, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Bob, I reckon there are a couple big "ghosts" out there frightening fly fishers in this part of the world. The first is this fear of being labeled a snob. Elitism doesn't play well out here in Warshingtun and the fear of being labeled such concerns many a local fly guy, or so it seems. The second ghost is this idea that popular media is driving hundreds, thousands, millions even! of ill-informed newbie fly fishers to our rivers destroying them in the process. Of course these newbies have no knowledge or commitment to either the fish or the "sport." I think both of these fears appear mostly in the mirror and that is why they make so many appearances on boards like this.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Hey Dave,what ever happened to the buddy thing. I didn't even get a invite to go with you guys. Bad Dave:p

Jim

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Bob - sorry if I came accross more harsh than I intended to. Hard to really reflect my tone in a short post. I am not bitter, angry, or even 'scared of ghosts' whatever that is supposed to mean... I was just playing along with your original post in which you started out by admitting might stir things up a bit. I just took the bait and played the game with you. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. You have ideas, I have ideas. This is a good place to exchange thoughts, ideas and opinions. In this context - I don't really believe there is a right or wrong 'answer' here. Just ideas. Hopefully we can continue to have a civil dialogue as I think there is probably some middle ground yet to be discussed. But like other very personal topics - maybe we just have to agree to disagree at some point. But please don't think I have any anger or hard feelings - just some different ideas...

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Jim - we went to a spot that required a hike to get to. Last few times you went to spots like that with us, you asked not to be invited again... Next time :beer2

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I'm with you on that Nail knot, right down the line and well put.

Chadk--Hey, no problem bud. You always have the right to disagree and be respected for it. Civility is way important in our lives.
    No feathers are ruffled, no lines drawn in the sand.
    If I were to meet a fly fisherman, and I have, who thought he was more "worthy" than I, then I would be pissed off as well.
    Most of them, when it comes to skill, are better than me, however.
    Bob, the Only Average, If That.:professor

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

ChadK, a follow up to my post, which was not directed at you. By "ghosts" I mean fears that appear in the mind but not in reality. In my experience this area has the most down to earth, hard working fly fishing scene I've been around. In other words- the opposite of what might be defined as "snobbery." Elitism? Possibly, but only in the way that comes about by working very hard. Maybe "attitude" would be a better description. My reference to the mirror was meant to explain why these topics seem to arise on a regular pattern. Most of us want to be sure we are not perceived as being "elitist fly fishers" or "newbies" as defined by some more experienced fishers or our own concepts defined via media or wherever. Nothing wrong with that type of self-relection. The fact is that many/most fly fishers do share some sensibilities about fish preservation and fishing style (an ethic maybe, not to be confused with "ethics"). Saying so shouldn't get you labeled as an "elitist." Especially from your peers, particularly here, and specifically when referring to Bob. Just my thoughts. Back on topic- Maxwell isn't saying anything that hasn't been said before. I see his choices as that, choices. A code he follows. More power to him for his committment and thinking and fishing experience. His views don't make me angry in the way that social "elitism" does in a larger cultural sense. Maybe he could be considered extreme, in the way that some mountaineers climb Everest without O2, or anyone that pushes the limits. Maxwell is just writing his story. I personally really dig those personalities, even if they hardly reflect my own fishing style or ideals.

I have two fresh packages of propellers just arrived from Bass Pro Shops. I plan to tie some junk up. Just so nobody thinks I'm an elitist. :)

7. wet line

wet line New Member

Jim, have you washed those wool socks yet? I know they scare the fish away:rofl :rofl :rofl

8. wet line

wet line New Member

Bob, I personally took your posts on this particular thread tongue in cheek. The key to my thinking was using dynamite!
    It seems like when the rivers get blown out and everyone is sitting around and feel a need to start flogging it happens here rather than on the water!
    So if you got the dynomite I got the net and we will just go out and touch some off and see how many we can snag when they float up to the top! Of course we will only use dries that wake and swing them in the most traditional manner! By the way no luck on those green butt things I tied up and sent you a sample. Well not quite true, a 15 inch cutt smashed it before the rivers blew out. Definately a retarded suicidal fish!

Dave

9. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Holy whatever!

After sloshing through 4 pages of this delightful reparte' I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has caught a fish lately? looks like we may have a bit too much time on our collective hands....hummmm?

I was off work today so got to spend most of it at various locations on the upper Sky (Gold Bar and above) Didn't get so much as a bump though.

On the other hand, I decided to pay a visit to a place I haven't seen in a while....Reiter...gasp!....Pond!

The hatchery parking lot had 27 vehicles in it...O'boy...walked down to the pool and, yup..you guessed it, Steelhead were everywhere! hanging from limbs and bushes, flopping around in the sand and being slaughtered one after the other. Now these are hatchery 'brats so no big deal. Even saw a pretty nice Chum landed and released. I counted 19 dead fish in the 1/2 hour I watched.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I know, I know....it ain't quality fishin' like we are used too, but man those low brow, gear chuckin' fish killin' slob's sure where having a great time bending rods with all those steelhead!

Most of 'em were using weight forward slinky lines, with corky/yarn flies or cured egg/shrimp lures.

LB:beathead
    :eek :rolleyes

10. Fish Stick

Fish Stick New Member

Have ya' ever heard such a lot of hot air expended on such a trivial topic? I say fish how you like to fish, provided it's legal. If that's not challenging enough (...and you like challenges) then simply start deducting advantages until you feel satisfied with the result. Screw anyone who looks down on you because they think they're playing the game on a more challenging or 'sporting' level. It's YOUR game, after all.

DP:smokin

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I think it's my nature to complain. I ain't happy unless I do. I have taken that long walk into Stillwater,what three times and have complained all three times but I still went. I'll go fishing anyplace just as long as no mountain climbing is involved. The flat and narrow is just fine. Just a little grumbling.

Just rantings from an old man:-(

Jim:thumb

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Bob, Nailknot, others - sounds like we've finally wrapped this up for this round. Thanks for playing. No hard feelings :beer2

Now lets go find us some winter steelhead :thumb