Area 9 Beach report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Jul 22, 2007.

1. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    After a frustrating past Saturday, I decided to go back today
    for some fast and furious Coho Salmon fishing on the beach. Since the Edmonds
    Ferry doesnt depart til 5:45 am, we decided to leave at 4:00 from Seattle and
    drive the south route through Tacoma, and Poulsbo. The drive was nice, and took us 1:45 to make it to the beach. We were surprise to find the parking lot full of cars and many fisherman on the
    beach already started.

I fished my crazy clouser pattern, which is a cross between a crazy charlie and
    a clouser, tied on a Mustad salt water #2 hook, 1/30 oz. barbell eye and a
    littel crystal flash.

I fished my striper line with clear intermediate sink tip on my new 9'6" XP 9
    wt. Yes, it was a little to much for this kind of fishing but I wanted to test
    out the new rod as I'd never had the chance to cast it until this morning. The
    rod performed excellent and it was nicer than I expected, much nicer than my 9'
    RPL 10 wt.

I had my first Coho on and landed within the first 5 minutes of casting and I
    thought it was going to be a great day, and turns out it was. I ended up
    hooking 7 Coho, landed 5, hooked and landed around 20+ bullhead sculpins, a
    dozen or so flounder.

On buddy ended up with a nice 7 lb hen, another buddy hooked three and lost three within the
    first hour, Another friend caught alot of bullhead and flounder but didn't have any
    success with the buz bombs for Coho. Gilly ended up with his first Coho around
    5 pm, a nice fish of about 5.5 lbs. All in all a perfect day for fishing,
    relaxing and getting some sun. I got a racoon eye sunburn from missing the sun
    block before we went out this a.m.

We took the 6:30 ferry back, which was a nice sail back to the mainland. Hope to see you folks out there soon.

2. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Round trip on the Edmonds-Kingston ferry for Preston and me (senior rate) was about $16.50 going over and $12.50 coming home. Not too much to pay for an opportunity at some red-hot, early-arriving coho. Life is uncertain; eat desert first.
    Cheers,
    Les

3. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Paul, very very nice. I posted a comment on the gallery with that pic. BTW I have heard of guys heading to the beach at 2am, so if you can't beat that start time, then likely you might find people at 6am. What a fun day!!!

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    today was definitely not like it was 2 days ago. got there at around 6:30am. tide was going out, and going extremely fast. it was like fishing in a river. on top of the extreme current and wind, there was an abundance of salad making fishing very frustrating. fishing elbow to elbow in those conditions just doesn't work out. between the 4 of us who went, nothing was caught.

5. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Second that... tossed kelp salad and few fish to find. My buddy successfully hooked and landed two Ho's, one 5 lbs and the other about a 4 lber. We left Renton at 3:15 and drove around, took us 1:20 minutes to the parking lot, not bad considering the ferry would take about that between driving, waiting, loading and unloading. We'll be back in search of more Ho Ho's... To Be Continued...

6. Randy Lindahl

Randy Lindahl Paintin' or Fishin'

Home Page:
    Well, I'm almost out of work for a weeks vacation. I live on the Kitsap Peninsula and will probably see some of you out on beaches starting tonite. What a great part of the country we live in. Fishing last nite I saw 2 hatchery and 1 native kings brought to the beach along with multiple silvers while I hooked a small pink. Good luck everyone and have a great weekend.
    Randy