Pattern Art Lingren's new book

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Randy Diefert, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Oh, I don't you and I followed what you meant. My point is /was that sometimes we get too carried away with patterns and sometimes it's the simplier things in life that really matter; the same goes for patterns. Sometimes the simplier patterns are the ones that catch all of the fish. I myself am a true believer in the K.I.S.S. theory. Although I really enjoy the art of Atlantic Salmon Tyes and Realistics. Does that make sense?
    Gill Nyerges taught me that there are flies that go in a shadow box and then there are flies that catch fish. I try to blend the two in my tying. but,all of the flies in that book are intended to catch fish; it so happens that some of them tend to blend the two also and some don't. I respect your opinion though and have respect for your tying ability as well.
    Randy

2. buzzer

buzzer New Member

As has already been stated these are working flies many that are proven reliable standards for B.C waters.Granted they are not full dress atlantics or realistic "display flies" but seldom have we found that those work here.This book is more of a contemporary companion to Mr.Lingren's previous historical looks at B.C ties.

3. Hywel

Hywel New Member

"As has already been stated these are working flies many that are proven reliable standards for B.C waters..."

I'm of the mind that even 'working flies' should be well-tied, especially when they're used in a publication.

"...they are not full dress atlantics or realistic "display flies" but seldom have we found that those work here."

A fairly broad (and bold) statement, don't you think? *g*

Hywel

4. buzzer

buzzer New Member

size,colour,movement.impressionism over outright imitation.These factors do more to determine what will catch fish than the tiers fancy,that is all i'm saying.IMHO

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I have fished with a lot of the tiers featured in Art's new book and traded flies with many of them over the years as well (Brian Chan, Shawn Bennett, Barry Stokes, Kelly Davison and others. They all tie good practical flies that that are well thought out and work; which is always what I'm looking for. As an example, some things do not show up in the final photo. I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with Vancouver Island tying legend, Art Limber a couple of months back and it turned out to be the marvelous techniques that he has developed over the years to make his flies not only beautiful but rhino-tough, while remaining trim and neat, that captured my attention.
    For topping on a great book, Art featured a 40-year friend of mine --and his-- from Washington; Harry Lemire. Having Harry's flies featured is alone worth the price of the book. I believe that BCrs consider Harry an honorary Canadian.
    I hope you all are enjoying the book as much as I am. It is a great reference volume from a master of the craft. Contemporary Fly Patterns of British Columbia is now in my tying room where it will receive a lot of attention before our annual two-week BC salmon fishing trip.
    Good Tying,
    Les Johnson

6. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Fishy Business in Olympia has a copy on the shelf if you want it. Call Tom and have him hold it or ship it to you.