Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Artisanal firewood

NFR 
2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Trapper 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Well that's the tough part...piñon is a wood, from what I understand, that only grows in the mountains of New Mexico. Since I live in TX, this is one of the few benefits of living here as we have access to it.

By starting, I mean the places you buy wood from are starting to stock it and since its been 100*+ for the past 3 months, fires are few and far between. Sorry, didn't mean kindling.

#9 ·
Well that's the tough part...piñon is a wood, from what I understand, that only grows in the mountains of New Mexico. Since I live in TX, this is one of the few benefits of living here as we have access to it.

By starting, I mean the places you buy wood from are starting to stock it and since its been 100*+ for the past 3 months, fires are few and far between. Sorry, didn't mean kindling.
Grows all over the place in Nevada; we used to harvest the pine nuts, and cut `em for Christmas trees.

G
#11 ·
Plant Tree Logging Wood Sky
That was funny!

When I worked for Gart LaFontaine, he got an Orvis catalog that made a big deal about " fat wood". Fat wood was carefully cut kindling. It came in a copper can. It was just pretty kindling.

Gary went nuts. He saw it as the ultimate in decadance. After that anything he saw as over the top extravagence, he labeled as " fat wood".

My firewood pile hasn't been washed, manicured, or filed down.

G
#19 ·
Oh, I don't doubt it works, but Gary was old school and used fizz sticks or held back the pitch saturated wood he found while splitting his firewood, which cost nothing. I do the same.

I did a photo assisted, step by step thread of making a fire on this forum. It's old school stuff, but requires no commercially available products to start a fire.

If I brought fat wood into a backcountry camp, I would never hear the end of it.

#16 ·
Now I feel bad about my lame, unhip, firewood. It's so unspecial, just a stack of split fir, a little alder and maple, with no special attention paid to any piece, other than rotating it so any knot didn't line up with the direction of my splitting axe. I'll try and take solace in the fact that my personality-less firewood still burns and heats my home when the weather outside is freezing.

Sg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.