Attn. All Nymphers: SLOW DOWN

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman44, Dec 6, 2017.

1. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Please wait 2 minutes before replying, my popcorn is still in the microwave

2. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

We should all swing flies with spey rods because it's way more e̶x̶p̶e̶n̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ ethical.

Eyejuggler and XP like this.
  3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

In the context of this being a Sage ad for one of their guides I get it. Bad boy turned good guide, yey!(nothing against the dude specifically)

Saying this ad has anything to do with conservation is total BS. While I do fall in the “swinging is less detrimental to a fishery than nymphing” camp they are clearly pimping the specific resource and especially one of its pimps. Sounds as hollow as our administrations move today “in the name of peace”.

To recap: resource hotspotting , guides, nymphing, politics, religion. Yup, cover em all.

Wait: WOLVES!

4. chromie

chromie Active Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  5. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

I think that different types of fishing affecting fisheries is just a reality. In these times when people are actively trying to reduce their impact in any way, from crushing barbs to just quitting all together, it should be taken into consideration.

For what its worth I don't see this as a gear vs fly discussion. Throwing a spoon is the same as swinging flies. Bobber dogging a nightmare jig is the same as a bead under an indicator.

To me it is about giving fish respite and making sure we are getting aggressive fish and not just feeding already tired fish. Thats just my opinion though.

6. chromie

chromie Active Member

Yard Sale likes this.
  7. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Agreed. Guess I'm just optimistic about staying in the hairs split stage rather than the total shutdown. Probably a bit hypocritical given my first post though...

Charles Sullivan likes this.
  8. chromie

chromie Active Member

9. Salvy

Salvy Never been steelhead fishing

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by FF vids.

freestonebound likes this.
  10. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I don't think anyone is "socially engineering a guilt trip", it's one man's realization that he needs to limit his impact. Nowhere in the video did anyone say you should do this, or your bad if you don't. He was born and grew up in a place where there is not a lot of economic opportunity, this is how he makes his living, I can't blame the guy for wanting to continue his chosen profession. Maybe others will follow his lead, maybe they won't. Don't trash the guy for doing what he thinks is right.

11. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Agreed. No need to rag on the people in the video.

SquatchinSince86 likes this.
  12. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I don't think anyone is trashing him personally. We're all trying to eke it out in a away that least makes us hate our lives. I don't blame him at all.

I expect the gut reaction experienced by many here is negative because it's a really slick video designed to sell rods and promote a guide. For many of us, it represents a commodification of an experience we hold sacred. It says to the world that OP steelhead fishing is a "must" experience in the fly fishing world. It tells the viewer that this incredible life experience can be bought, and though the video maligns nymphing, it produces "3 fish per boat." That sounds almost guaranteed, right? And you'll be supporting a depressed local economy! A perfect Christmas gift for that retired physician in your life.

...but mostly I'm angry because it forces me to confront my narcissism: I want my fishless days to mean something; it's not fair that people pay to skip the learning curve.

13. chromie

chromie Active Member

I deleted my posts because I didn’t consider how they could be looked at as attacking the guide in particular. I don’t want to come across in that way. No way at all. I respect his approach. He’s in a tough spot. I’m not in the anti guide group either.

I don’t care for a commercial video which includes conservation organizations (WSC was in it) where it dances around the true issue, in that true conservation here is closure/limited season of the Hoh and evaluation of sustainable escapement goals. I believe another forum member here Bob Triggs? Concluded the same and stopped guiding it. No video was made of his actions. One of the papers he posted awhile ago really opened my eyes to the escapement situation, beyond personal experience.

The video doesnt need to say what style of fishing should or shouldn’t be done. It states swinging is a conservation method and has a commercial brand stamped on it. That implies other methods (nymphing) are not conservational. The video calls out nymphing specifally. And again, if this is believed, do the right thing and fish another system that is sustainable.

You don’t put out a video like that without an intent to influence others behavior.

I’ll repeat, I’m not a fisheries expert. Made an observation and that is all.

14. River Pig

River Pig Active Member

Home Page:
    I literally could not fish any slower if I tried. No matter the technique. Ask my dad or @rotato. I do it because I care about the resource.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  15. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

One of our problems exists because fly-fisher people today tend toward C&R while the "other" fisher people tend toward eat what you catch. Conservation only matters when the resource appears to be declining and someone cares enough to suggest a change in behavior. In a fishery where keep and kill is legal C&R fishermen should realize that C&R may be more detrimental than catch and kill. If we hope to continue fishing for anadromous species in the PNW we need to understand that each time a fish is C&R'd the released fish has fewer resources available for spawning. Each and every C&R degrades anadromous fish.

mbowers and Bob Triggs like this.