August Pink Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jwg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Fished Dash Pt (state park) beach yesterday 8/13 from 10 to 2. VERY slow, only saw 1 other pink caught among the 15 or so fishermen on this stretch of beach. Hooked up with three fish around noon, and landed this one. View attachment 43498

2. jar8

jar8 Member

I was fishing next to you,those are my kids on the kayak in the background,I was fishing with gear and hooked up right after you did and my kids were able to land it.My actually recorded you fighting your fish.Nice job.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Myself, my cousin, and Constructeur hit an off the radar area 11 beach this morning. Well over twenty fish hooked up. Was not a slow morning by any means.

4. jfogliani

jfogliani New Member

Wow - thanks. Don't know if I will make it down there or not but I appreciate the offer. What stores in the Puget Sound/Seattle area would you recommend?

5. fishues

fishues fishin fool

Dan, Tom, and Ibn
    I was in one of the boats on Dumas Bay as well, the livingston. It's been consistently good for me especially around the low tides, seems around high tide they get a little lock jawed. My buddy and I were out on friday and did really good all day until the last hour or so before the flood. We were casting into pods of porpoising and finning fish but couldn't get them to bight. I tried letting it sink more, different retrieves, small flies, but couldn't get a thing. Anyone else experience this, any tips?

Gabe

6. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Slow day for us in the 3 hours fished. Only hooked one. Lots of small fish being caught. Size seems to be down vs last weekend by over 1/2. Saw many catch 2-3 pound fish.

7. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Could it be that the Puyallup run is starting to wind down? I haven't even gotten out there yet. Although I did pick up a nice pink and a coho off a Whidbey beach this morning.

8. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

The run has hardly started. None of the fish I have caught have had a hump as in Humpie. That tells me we have yet to see the bulk of the run to the Puyallup. In years past, I have caught more with humps than without. This run will go for at least three more weeks, if not longer.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Some are starting to get some hump going. Not very pronounced yet, but starting to look a bit humpy like..
    View attachment 43520

10. JayB

JayB Active Member

Fished DPSP from my pram both days roughly 9-5. Hooked six and landed four Saturday, and 2-4 today. Had to fish mighty hard to get the two in the boat! Wish I was one of the guys reporting 20 fish days but I've had to work hard to get into the mid single digits on each outing. Not sure anyone will want to hear what I'm using after that kind of a (dis)qualifier - but small and sparse with a bit of flash (size 8-10) has been working the best for me.

Both of today's fish were bright, broad-shouldered bucks of about 5-6 lbs without any discernable hump. Hopefully Steve is right about the run having some legs yet - although I'll be very happy when points north with more convenient launches start to go off.

11. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Yeah we spent some time in a canoe off Des Moines today and got one fish that looked about like that one--hump just starting. That was our one and only fish which came when a pod swam by the boat. Other than that we didn't see a heck of a lot of fish showing themselves. Not sure if we had the wrong beach or wrong tide. We were out from about 2:30 to 6:30.

12. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Gabe, I think today was the first day in the last 5 I didn't see you out there.... Slacker!!

13. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

Home Page:
    Fished yesterday from a very small Kayak. Launched at 4:30 pm at Redondo and trolled to the point just before Dumas bay, didn't see any fish until I got to the point. I anchored there until 8:45 pm I only had one hook up and got the fish into the net. From that time only they were surfacing all around me but I didn't get a bite after my first fish. Lots of salad in the water. The boat next to me caught a couple with buzz bombs but 4 guy and 3 fish- they didn't do any better than me. Caught the fish using a clear intermediate with a weighted small pink fly.

Had a peaceful paddle in the dark on the way back- beautiful calm clear night. Only one boat left to trailer when I got there.

Thanks to Steve Saville, Tom Bowden and Tool Fly your information made this a successful outing.

14. fishues

fishues fishin fool

I'm on vacation!!!... I'll be out tomorrow afternoon

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    To those who have been unable to get nibs while there are fish around and they seem to be locked up:

I've also been experiencing this a bit lately. However, I've found a cure that has proven itself every time out for me. I started tying a very sparse fly on a size 6 2xl hook with a large tungsten cone head. This fly has a VERY fast sink motion, when if stripped right, does a very deliberate up and down jig if thrown on a full floater. If the fish are there, they have always taken it. I've had buddies fishing next to me using other setups, and got no nibs while I was putting on fish after fish. Yesterday, I went two hours with nothing, finally switched to this setup, and had one to the net five casts later, and signed off on the day with 12 hookups. My buddy also switched up, and immediately started racking up fish.

The first couple trips using this fly, I just thought it worked as good as anything else. Now I'm finding it seriously works when it seems like nothing else does.

View attachment 43523