August Pink Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jwg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

We have been hitting fish now consistently for several trips, Yesterday through during the main push of the incoming tide around 3:30 the fish did get harder to find.

On my drive to and from Point Defiance Marina I travel along the Puyallup river. This year I see allot of fish being taken from the river in August. I don't recall that happening on the last few runs. You would mainly see the fish in the river late September-October. Perhaps with the rivers running high the fish are not staging quite as long in the salt.

2. JayB

JayB Active Member

Thanks for sharing the secret weapon.

3. Oldtoy

Oldtoy Member

Going out for my first time (ever) tonight in the south sound (from everything I read it is open 7 days a week in area 11...). Thanks to everyone for posting up info. and helping guy like me out. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Same location as yesterday (one I can't disclose) in area 11:

three of us flinging flies, 6 fish to hand. 6 others lost to the LDR. Fish were a lot more sparse today.

5. knotabassturd

knotabassturd New Member

Evan, your fly, what kind of tail material and dubbed body do you have on that? Interesting idea with the heavy front to give it a jiggy action :)

Did get one finally (first landed) but nothing exciting at maybe 3 1/2 pounds buck slightly less humped than Evan's pic. Felt more like a 16-18 inch rainbow than a hot salmon in the salt. Good first run but easy to handle putting some muscle on it. 15 pound mono tippet may be too thick, not doing anything as well as some others reporting. Not seeing a lot of fish on the surface either wading right around Dash Pt (a few, not much). They are getting bombed hard for a good 2 miles of shoreline leading up to Dash Pt and my casting range is not at all good (rusty as a salted crab ring from not flyfishing for so long).

As far as eating/smoking pinks, I peeled the skin off the pink.
    It was just too slimy to contemplate slipping a skin-on fillet into brine.
    It took some time to peel the skin off but boy I felt better handling the brined fish LOL. Much less slimy so hardly had to rinse (keeps a bit of sweet on surface of smoked fish) and will be doing that to future pinks, maybe coho and chinook as well. It turned out fine smoked up in the cheapo Brinkmann.

I'll have to keep the Evan trick/tip/fly pattern in mind at some point if it seems fish are around but not biting.

Looked like a few guys were wading out in the water for Steve's pink fest too :) Too far away for me to tell how they did so if anyone was out there, I'd be curious if it was as slow out there as it was where I was Sunday.

(PS- just saw the pink fest thread and saw they had a tough go of it too, maybe too much cigar smoke on the fly :)).

OK back to work for me and vicarious living reading other reports from people able to get out more. Go get 'em! Thanx for all the info and reports!

6. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Fished Lincoln Park with Leland and another friend this morning. No fish for us, but watched about 7 caught by the buzz bombers and some LDR's! I'll post a pic when I get my phone charged up of the "zoo" that is LP!

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Do you suppose they saw you coming? You guys probably scared them off.

8. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    Brother and I fished 11 hard from 7-2pm, nothin' . Oh well, I now have 9 days left on my vacation..

9. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Here's a tip for you or anyone else having this problem.

After rinsing off the fish. Use "White Vinegar" to take the slime coat off the skin by rubbing it into the skin then rinsing it off one more time in cold water.

10. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

Fished the fly at PNP this afternoon for a while and left skunked. Conditions were perfect, low tide, no wind, baitfish jumping and seals swarming. Although no bites and horrible casting, I did have a great time finally getting out.
    Then I decided to try my luck chucking some gear down at Edmonds pear. Caught a decent sized rockfish and thats all. But in the 2hours I was there, 2 15+lb kings were caught so I might head back out later tonight.
    Think I'll test my luck on the fly this Wednesday at DP.
    Gonna try and invest in a boat so I don't have to deal with the crowds when fly fishing.
    Sorry for the dull report :)

11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Dash Point this weekend? Plan on being there no later than 5:30 or you won't get a parking spot anywhere near there.

12. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

13. jwg

jwg Active Member

I checked my pictures for the pinks I caught August 19 to 21 in 2009 from DP state park beach in MA 11.

No humps at all or barely. I am posting the largest and tallest of them. the rest were smaller and trout shaped.
    View attachment 43558

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Hit the Snohomish opener this morning. Not much of anything in there yet.

15. Oldtoy

Oldtoy Member

Went to Browns Pt. last night from 4:30 to 8. Nothing for me and I only saw five fish get landed out of the 200+ folks lining the beach. It was my first experience combat fishing with a fly...wow.

Everyone was pretty cool, I found myself hiking to the north to get a bit of room on my right. I ended up smacking the bulkhead constantly (tides didn't cooperate) and fighting seaweed. Once the wind picked up I shifted to the south side of the point right off of the boat launch (around 6:30) and saw two fish get pulled to shore and one get lost at the hand in the last hour and half. It was fun to get the giant 8/9 out and throw some flies. Getting practice casting that beast of a rod is better than watching Family Guy re-runs at least. Had a good time, great weather and decent people (except for the families that kept wanting to sit in the way of my backcast).

Folks did say it was the slowest they had seen it.

These were the flies I threw. No hits but I would appreciate any input of what you guys think (if you have had any luck with any of these).

Cheers,
    View attachment 43559