August Pink Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jwg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Had a pretty epic morning. Took my awesomely weird neighbor, who I call Weird Al, out for his first time fishing in about 20yrs. Got him hooked up.

View attachment 43715

Picked up some serious toads this morning too. The one in this shot gave me multiple impressive leaps and cartwheels, and pulled quite a lot of backing in no time flat. Best fight I've had in a long time.

View attachment 43714

2. JayB

JayB Active Member

Nice looking fish. Particularly for fresh water (my guess based on the Weird Al photo).

Checked the creel reports for the previous week and it looked like things held steady out in the straits, picked up in the North/Central sound, and absolutely dropped off a cliff in the South sound. Makes me thankful for my one fish day in the greater Redondo area on Sunday. Looks like I more or less matched the total count at the ramp.

Can't help but wonder if the fish in the Straits are actually headed for Canadian rivers as opposed to rivers in the sound. Even if all of the fish are gunning it up the rivers, it's hard to reconcile what I've seen so far in MA11 with anything but a massive decline in the YTD totals for the run. After striking out at Redondo, I took a trip a bit further south to check things out at DP and BP, and stopped by the Cliff House parking lot overlooking Commencement Bay on the way out. We probably spend 20 minutes surveying the water from there, and another 40 minutes surveying the water at various points along the Bay and literally saw nothing. That doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't any fish there, but it's certainly a far cry from 2009.

At this point I've more or less written off the South Sound run (but I'll be delighted if I'm totally wrong) for fishing purposes, and am just hoping enough fish make it through to plant the seeds for a decent run in 2011.

3. JayB

JayB Active Member

4. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Geez, It took me a while to realize this was a fish photo. All I could see at first was that beautiful hat.

DKL

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I'm well ahead of where I was in 2009 at this point. I'm 100% fine with the way things are going so far.

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I checked Dash Pt. from the pier this afternoon. Looks to me like that sparse rain brought some more in as there were several laying on the dock and I saw about ten hook-ups in a fifteen minute period before I left. They know how to hook 'em but can't land them for beans. I may go down this evenig for a bit but there was a lot of crap in the water so it may make beach fishing difficult. Please note Evan's fish: no hump. I still contend that we haven't reached the peak of the run and that we have a couple more good weeks ahead. Even at that, we are three weeks in and it won't last forever. I've had better years but this one has not been bad.

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Evan, have you moved on to fresh water or still hitting the beaches (or both). I've been SWAMPED at work and haven't gotten to go out much. I was hoping to make it out on Sunday morning and was planning on a couple MA9 beaches but would consider a river too although I have never looked in to location for rivers. This is the first Pink run I've followed so really don't know what I'm doing! haha

8. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    don't ask him how many he's couged this year though. :rofl: :beathead:

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I'm fishing tidal influence water on the river... So kinda both.

10. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Active Member

Sorry if I missed a post somewhere in 19 pages (!!!), but it seems to me that what we may be seeing is that due to the still-crazy-high rivers, the fish are just not staging in the salt like they would in a "normal" low-water year. I know I was catching Skagit fish in the river in the first couple weeks of August when there was no real sign of fish in Skagit Bay at all.

That being said I definitely agree that there are waaaaaaaaaay more fish to come, especially in the North Sound. Oh yeah, and in the FRASER where there are still about 17 million fish yet to come!!

11. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

I took a drive at lunch today & saw 9 commercial fishing boats working between Redondo and Des Moines. I wonder if the lull in the South Sound run is due to commercial fishing? Any thoughts? Is there a way to determine the commercial fishing schedule?

12. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

what i was seeing early on had me wondering as well.
    but i think that the temp of the rivers and amount of water still coming down IS moving these fish more quickly.
    fished the snoho on monday. action was strong for about and hour and a half. then it just died fast.
    fish just were not there. they move out quick as soon as the tide came up.
    so thats my 2 cents on this year.
    gonna be very interesting to see how the coho do this year. i think they will follow what the pinks are doing and move up quick.

13. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Active Member

Bubba's right, KDL, I have been landing for shit in the "red zone." Looking forward to a solid second half, though. Go Cougs!!! :)

14. HammerinHonkers

HammerinHonkers New Member

I dont think they are netting for pinks. I was around them in my boat last week and they were diving. I think either getting clams or ducs, didn't see any nets deployed.

15. Fly Boy

Fly Boy .

Been having a lot of fun on an area 11 Beach. There have been ups and downs the past two weeks, but it's close enough to home to hit it for an hour or two every other day or so.

This is my biggest so far:

Before
    View attachment 43727
    After
    View attachment 43728