August Pink Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jwg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Nice blog! Good work. Keep it up.

2. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Fished area 11 last night, hooked four and landed four.

3. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

I new to salwater so please bear with me. What and where is Area 11? Is it an area accessable only by boat?

4. jwg

jwg Active Member

Areas are mapped out in the regulations book. Or you can see it online.
    Regulations are written to apply to specific "areas" just the way freshwater regs apply to specified rivers or lakes

area 11:
    TACOMA-VASHON ISLAND - south from a line projected true east west through the north tip of Vashon Island to the northernmost Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

5. JayB

JayB Active Member

Fished DP from 10:00-2:30. A few fish started to show at ~1:30. Hooked and landed one, somehow broke my rod in the process just as more fish started to show. I saw a fellow FFer in a powerboat nearby and asked if he had any duct tape to spare, he generously gave me the only tape he had that he was using to hold some wiring in place, and I combined that with lots of wrapped leader material, headed back to the fish - and had the repaired section crack in half on the first false cast.

Made my self feel better on the way home by buying a Z-axis on closeout from Outdoor Emporium. Literally don't think I've ever touched a top-shelf fly rod before, much less cast one so hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as other folks seem to. Figure at 38 I'm already halfway to the grave, I've been busting my ass working and scrimping by on 3rd and 4th tier fishing gear since I bought my first decent rod with paper-route money at 13 so why the hell not....

6. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Fished Picnic Point yesterday 5-7pm. Nothing but three bullheads and a dungeness (on the fly, no kidding!)

7. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Fished from 330-530 this afternoon from a local beach. 3 for 7. Had to leave them biting because of a family commitment. :(

8. ten80

ten80 Active Member

At least give us the marine area you were fishing in, or else your report is of little use to anyone.

9. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Took the whaler to the south sound, launched at Rodando (SP?) Boated around a dozen.

10. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Fished from a boat near browns point yesterday morning. Between my dad and I, we had 5 in the boat within 20 minutes...then it took 3 hours to catch 3 more fish to get us to our limits.

Now they're all sitting in brine and heading to the smoker! Love pink season!

11. vanvgj1

vanvgj1 Yak fisher

Got out of my boat and waded at Picnic Point Sunday morning for a change, 0700-0830. Breezy, cool and overcast. Didn't see any real fish - there were about 5 of us including a couple spin guys. I guess catching a Dungeness tops my Flounder... but this is the second small Flounder I've caught on this pink fly - it's turning out to be a real Flounder killer! Ya think we're getting deep enough with our intermediate lines? :D
    View attachment 43351

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Put that intermediate away and use a floater

13. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

8/8 Dash Point Report:

Fished from 5:00AM - to 8:00AM. Tide was out

Dock was full. About 20 guys wading spread out along the beach 'cause the tide was out and there was lots of room.

I fished an area way down the beach.

5 gear guys standing right next to me landed at least a dozen fish between them.
    I hooked 6, landed 2, bonked 1
    Only saw 3 fish jump .... they don't seem to be jumping as much this year.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I've been noticing the same thing. I've had people tell me that the early fish don't jump as much, but I remember seeing lots of jumpers in my first trips out at the end of July/beginning of Aug in 2009.

15. PT

PT Physhicist

People might want to consider the higher than normal flows our rivers are still putting out. I've seen this in past years where the fish don't hang around or show themselves as much in high water years. Enjoy 'em while they're moving thru. 2 years ago we had very low water and the fish seemed to hang around the salt much longer. I wouldn't expect that this time around.