Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Auto Break-ins!

7K views 57 replies 41 participants last post by  ascender 
#1 ·
Lenice is one of my favorite fishing spots on this planet, however the incidence of car break-ins has caused me concern. It diminishes my piscatorial pleasure when I have to worry about someone breaking into my car. Any reports from last season? Better yet, any arrests?

#32 ·
How about having a programable alarm instead of the annoying ones that no one pays any attention to. Such as hearing the distinct sound of a shell being chambered and then having Clint say "I know what your tinking is it 5 or is it 6" . John Wayne would be another good one. Any other ideas?

#33 ·
about 8 years ago, i was coyote hunting accross the road from lenice. while walking back in full camo with an sks, i heard a car engine heading down the short road i was on so i took cover within sight of my truck, maybe 30 yards or so to watch. a beat up mustang with two transient type mexicans, pulled up to my truck, they looked inside it abit and spoke for abit and left. the whole time i'm locked and loaded only 30 yards from them. i'm glad they didn't give me a reason to act.

what i did learn is as mentioned above, leave nothing in your car to steal and you won't be bothered.

I might mention, it may be possible as an organization to hire off duty officers to stake the place out. could maybe plan a group outing on a weekday, as bait. this is a common practice, and may be possible.

#34 ·
the towns right around those lakes are basically mexico. i say instead of having the cameras in the open you just conceal them in some bushes or in a hole in a fence post. then you have your signs telling everyone they are being watched in both english and spanish. then maybe you bait the area with a decent looking car with some more expensive looking stuff inside. i think if you bait the car with electronics, take the acctual electronics out and place a gps tracking device in it. maybe also some sort of paint fogger planted on the mirrors so that if the window breaks, the person doing it will get painted.

#35 ·
I've always had the theory that alot of the breakins were actually kids rather than hispanics, with the hispanics getting the blame. I have no real data to back this up its just that prior to school getting out there seem to be fewer problems of this sort compared to after school gets out, I know there could be other reasons this is the case (more people around prior is one) and I know most of the poaching I've seen has been by hispanic people but this trend to blame everything on the hispanics really sucks, with the percentage of the population being higher sure theres going to be more criminals of that race its the same everywhere from the inner city to the most remote towns in alaska, every culture has criminals and in our country there is a long history of blaming everything wrong on the newest members, our country is made up of immigrants, 100%, its the mix that makes us great, get used to it, post the racist crap somewhere else and try to come up with some viable solutions to the problem that this post started with. I know this is just asking to be flamed but you know what tough shit this is my opinion.
tony

#38 ·
Cameras don't work. Most meth heads wear hoodies for a reason. We installed cameras at one of our equipment yards and got some great video of 2 guys with hoodies over thier heads ripping us off. Cops looked at the videos and said it could be anyone. Now we have dogs. Haven't been hit once since the dogs were installed.

#41 ·
Get an old mean dog.

Feed him lots of raw meats to:

Befriend him.

Leave him in your car.

In the summer, leave a cooler of ice for him in the back seat.

#42 ·
When I was a kid, there was a guy who was hunting with a falcon there. That'd be a cool guard animal. When a thief comes and starts breaking in a car, the falcon could swoop down and pluck the guy's eyeballs out. We'd have to agree on some code word for the falcon so that it wouldn't use it's large talons on us.

#47 ·
I think goin' huntin would be more fun than fishin' at this point.

I had some stuff stolen out of my truck years ago and so I spent the next night in the back with a rifle. Now with a cell phone you could call the police while you hold them hostage or shoot them if they try to escape. I am sick and tired of the victims being considered the law breakers. In fact you could gather some cell numbers from other folks at the site and even the score a bit.

-Darrel

#49 ·
I definitely feel like a sting is in order. It is not fair that we all have to worry about theft at pretty much all of our favorite fishing spots. It is so frustrating that the police don't see this as a high enough priority issue to even look into most of these incidents. I believe that a group of guys from this board (I would be happy to be one of them) should find out from officials what we can do as far as taking law enforcement into our own hands without incriminating ourselves.

#50 ·
There's probably nothing you can do except to not leave anything in your rig. So you have a sting and catch a thief? Judge and/or jury would probably let him go on some minor technicality.

Eventually some twisted individual who read too many super hero comic books and in his youth will invent for himself a superhero persona, and indulge his fantasies by going after these parking lot scum.
When the cops start finding these car jackers in parking lots hog-tied and beaten close to death, Thumbs cut off, and with the words "scumbag thief" stenciled on their foreheads in dayglow chartreuse, maybe they'll get with the program a little better. Where the #$@% is Spiderman's evil twin when we need him?

#51 ·
I responded to a similar post recently and thought worth repeating.
My car has been broken into three times the past few years. Had lots of nice shi** I worked very hard for stolen. Little if any response from law enforcement. (I live on the east side)So I started becoming more proactive. I started a neighborhood watch in my rural area and we have a meeting a few times a year. This has helped keep the tweakers and other trash out of our area.

When I go fishing now on the Yak or other east side lakes, rivers I drive around the area for a few minutes then sit in my car for 10-20 minutes before I start. If I see anyone who looks like they don't belong I drive up to them and a question like "How's the fishing?" Just to get a response. You can usually tell when they are in the area to break into cars cause trouble. Then I say something like"You know there are a lot of break-ins in the area and I am writing down all license plates and am taking photos to help out"
They usually leave the area. They don't like it when people pay attention to them.( I have 18 years in law enforcement plus military so I deal with them every day and know how they think)
I additionally do this when i see people poaching fish. I just say to them I called the warden, sheriff and they will arrive soon and pretend I am taking their photo with my cell phone and say I emailing by my phone to sheriff warden. This works too.
Not advocating this for everybody and maybe I am just stupid doing this but seems to work. Obviously if they become really agitated, threatening just leave.
Just my two cents

#55 ·
Im new to the site and im glad this is being discussed. Having to worry about out gear being stolen almost takes the fun out of the trip. I never leave anything of value in my truck for them to steal, but knowing tweakers they would take the rearview mirror. Last year i arrived at a boat launch to find a panicked fellow fly fisher. Two sage outfits were stolen from his truck that was in full view from the small lake we were fishing. I think it is up to us to police the areas we fish and not to be afraid to confront and/or report these sh*t bags that lurk around launches. I will be damned if some speed freak is going to swipe my gear and if i ever catch one i will gut shoot his ass.

#56 ·
Don't store anything of value within sight of the windows. That's why they break in and steal because it looks valuable. Most of the break-ins in our area, according to police are by "illegals" seeking to make a fast buck. I had my golf clubs stolen a few years back, I had left them in the back of my SUV. Good thing about that was I got a new set of clubs, my wife felt sorry for me. But you sure feel violated when that happens.

Keith

#58 ·
Hopefull the person has overdosed on meth by now. Sucks to feel the temptation to not bring good wine, computer and tying supplies! I'm still leaving my shitty tent set up all day.

Anyone planning on camping out there for period of time in coming weeks? I am getting off my crutches and getting stoked to get my cast on. Probably be by myself and need some evening drinking partners! ptyd

I remember this always being a problem in Squamish, BC for climbers. I never brought much with me and hid the rest in the woods and boulders. Once I was sleeping on wall and woke up to an alarm. My truck was being broken into... I got to watch the whole thing and yell at them. HAHAHA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.