Backcountry recipes, with fish, or without

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Allison, May 14, 2009.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Along with recipes, let's discuss cooking gear and utensils. I see Ray carried at least two frying pans and cook pots and who knows what else. I stopped carrying my REI folding handle aluminum teflon fry pan 15 years ago to save weight and bulk. I carry the pocket rocket stove or Jetboil, one ti cookpot, a plastic mug, a plastic dish that began life as a microwave frozen dinner container, and a spork. Allison, you wrote that you make some concessions to quality of life and going ultra-light. Care to share what your backpacking "kitchen" consists of?

Clearly, the amount of kitchen gear you pack is going to determine how elaborate one's meal recipes can be. I want to learn how to have the best chow with the least weight and bulk in my pack.

Sg

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

For cooking gear I use a GSI soloist which is an integrated pot/cup/handle/lid/sipcup. It only really works for single person meals but it all stores in a washbin style case and stores my whisperlite inside it. Makes for a very compact system saving me valuable pack space. Its pretty light but you can go lighter. Sometimes I will bring a fry pan as well. For a utensil I have a titanium spork and my knife and a set of chopsticks.

You greatly increase the amount of cookwear you can bring if you go in a group and have each perosn carry a specific item and then cook as a group. I also use those roll up tubes with a clip on the end for carrying things like peanut butter or honey, and for spices (salt/pepper) or hot sauce i get the little packages from fast food resurants. Taco Hell has some good hot sauce.

I know alot of people carry french presses and such for coffee, but i prefer to just take a paper filter.

As far as cleaning goes my solosit case is a nice mini sink. I heat some water and add a little bit of Dr. Broners soap and then use my fingers/micro towel to clean things, makes for a simple system.

In the past I have also taken tin foil and a light grill for cooking with a fire.

3. Ray

Ray Active Member

Best chow with the least weight seems to be either pre packaged dehydrated meals or home made dehydrated meals.

The trip I referenced above is an annual trip and we've done the extremes, from ultra heavy to ultralight. There's usually five of us on the trip, so we've started to get a lot more gormet when it comes to food. We also don't do more than four miles per day because any more than that really cuts into the fishing time. Our daily routine is to hike 150 yards, drop the pack, fish; hike 150 yards, drop the pack, fish; repeat. Dinner is a group affair and last year's menu went like this:

Dinner 1: Seafood Alfredo (premade and vacuum sealed)
    Dinner 2: Kraft Deluxe Mac and Cheese with Stagg Chili
    Dinner 3: Fajitas and Jambalaya
    Dinner 4: Backpacker's Pantry Lasagne

We save the lightest meal for last. Everyone packs a share of the kitchen. We ususally end up with 6 pots/pans and 4 stoves split between the five of us. The packs weigh around 45 lbs including alcohol.

Now for my ultralight trips, I've got my 40 liter pack down to about 20 lbs for a five day trip. I go all dehydrated for that type of trip.

4. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

You bet Salmo. I have 2 titanium pots, I'll bring both if I'm cooking for more than myself or more than one night usually. The stove is a canister stove (MSR Pocket Rocket), though this year I'm buying a remote-canister stove, the MSR Wind Pro, because I'm finding the remote canister types burn all of the fuel in the bottle, and they do it without complaining. BTW for car camping I'm pretty much all the way with a Jetboil Helios versus my old Coleman 2-burner. The Helios is too heavy for my taste for BP, but kills for car camping.

I also bring my folding titanium spork (no I am not kidding) and a small nylon spatula thing like this: http://tinyurl.com/qbn9fs
    a titanium cup with folding handles, and a Cool Whip container for a bowl. My pots *just* nest together, and I can put the CW container(s) in that, and the stove inside that, and seal up the whole Magilla with a rubber band. Other optional add-ins, foil for cooking fish, a frying pan, and my Ortik Heat-it. I don't think the Heat-it is on the market yet. I usually bring some sort of a windscreen too, you just have to be careful not to let the canister get too warm. I do my coffee in a small plastic Melitta cone if I'm brewing real coffee.

5. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

native american, fillets on sticks getting roasted next to the fire, my favorite meal comes from a dehydrated meal packet, i know its sat but i can't cook to save my life. i like yalls recipes though!

6. FlyMeARiver

FlyMeARiver Da Mailman! Making sure you get yours!

Hops and barley are great ingredients with or without fish! Also give me a pan of chili bubbling on the fire with cheese and onions and maybe some hotdogs! Pretty simple and extremely tasty not to mention filling!

7. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

ok i have new favorite recipies.

pizza - wheat flower dough, summer sausage, pepperjack cheese, jalepenos, hot sauce, red sauce. add 1 packet of yeast to warm water (be able to hold ur finger in it to the count of 5) and add brown sugar and follow yeast instructions, then fold into flower and make a dough. let the dough rise in a plastic bag against the skin for as long as possible. butter the frying pan and place pan over a low flame (i do this on a whisperlight by priming the stove, then depressurizing the tank, and then pumping a couple times and relighting.) form the dough into a pizza shape and bake till crust starts to brown, flip the crust, top and bake till golden brown on the bottom. add a splash of water to the pan and put on lid, allowing steam to fully melt the cheese.

Cheese Curumba! Mix cummin, chopped cheese, and flower into a dough. form patties and fry in butter. top with hotsauce.