Backpacking/Fishing Adventure

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sean Matthews, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

A six-day, 55 mile hike through the Sawtooth Range was probably the best backpacking/fishing combination I ever did. Still, especially for those not used to high elevations, I suggest hiking down the middle fork of the Salmon River in Idaho, about midway between the towns of Stanley and Salmon. This famous stretch of wilderness river is famous for its scenery and teriffic fishing for cutthroat trout. It's usually run by rubber rafts, often with professional guides. But there is also, I've heard, a suitable trail running downstream from Bear Creek, the usual launch point, to the mouth of the Middle Fork into the main Salmon. Research it first, of course. The water should be perfect in September.

2. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

two words THE BOB

3. powderglut

powderglut My Kind Of Wave

I did one in the Bridger Wilderness many years back. It's located in the Wind River Range near Pinedale Wyoming.
    Every lake we fished had cutthroats or goldens and very receptive to dry flies. It was one of the most visual trips I've been on both for scenery and surface feeding trout.
    I had the Bob Marshall in Montana as another bucket list trip but never made it. I'm sure that wouldn't be a bad choice either.
    My backpacking is confined to a once a summer, 2 niter in the Flattops Wilderness for flamer cutthroats. Flattops in Colo wouldn't be a bad choice either with the aspens changing, sweet scenery and hungryfish. They don't seem to be very picky at the end of the summer.
    Any of those places would be a great choice! Good luck!

4. generic

generic Justified

These places are great with less trafic than most places. Also, the mission Mt range, West side has only a few trails, lots of undiscovered territory. Hiked there many a times, 200 - 300' waterfalls into lakes that have abnormally large dumb fish.

5. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

A couple guys from the Port Angeles fly club gave a great talk to the Bellingham fly fishing club about a week backpacking trip in the Owens River drainage fishing the 3 distinctive strains of golden trout in their original rivers. It looked like a very cool trip and they did it in September. Great scenery and they caught all 3 sub-strains of golden trout. If you are interested in that trip I can look up their names. Rick

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

OK. Now you're talkin' my "neck of the woods" here.:thumb:
    Let me know if you'd like more info.:)

7. Ryan Singh-Cundy

Ryan Singh-Cundy Member

i have always wanted to go backpacking in the yukon or alaska during late august or early september, just be prepared for a little cold weather if you go, i had a friend who did something like that and caught fish til his arms ached

8. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

thats what I want to do, a long exploration of alaska

9. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

I recommend the same place as Nooksack - Sawtooth Mountains. I have not backpacked there but fished and hiked some. There is a lot of territory to cover there. High altitude. Stanley, a low point in the area, is 5 or 6 kilofeet in elevation. Lots of trails, some serious steep mountains.

View attachment 36853

10. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

the only thing u need to do to avoid traffic in the wilderness is avoid trais :p

just sayin...

11. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    Two best wild ranges where you'll find great backcountry/alpine fishing, and very few people:

Winds of Wyoming.

Oregon's Wallowas.

12. DKMuk

DKMuk New Member

Is September to late for the Bob Marshall? We hiked in there a few years ago in July and it was too hot. We did catch fish though, but it was a long slog in.

13. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

You could always park at kelly creek in Idaho. Start walking east on the trailhead and fish you way to Montana. That trip will last as long as you want it to. Great water the whole way

14. generic

generic Justified

It depends on high you want to go. Snow starts to fall sometimes in September.

15. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Google this: Rogue River Graves Creek to Foster Bar.