Bad fly shop

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by triploidjunkie, Mar 26, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

People steal images from the Internet all the time. The Internet Police is not very good at following every image to make sure a proper byline is given by a poster on a forum or web site.

I ran across one retail flyfishing web site that was using a number of my cartoons on their site. As the laws in regards to copyright for items on The Internet are still hazy at best and difficult to enforce, there really isn't much that can be done.

At least they didn't remove my sig from the cartoons so it let it pass.

Some folks have approached me and asked if they could use my cartoons in their fly club newsletters and I've always said yes. Most likely I would have told the fly shop the same if they would have asked. It would have been nice if they asked.

It isn't as if someone can't track me down. My e-mail address is not the difficult to find.

As far as the Drake Forum goes ... we have a deal, those guys are not too keen on me and I'm not too keen on them. Works out well.

2. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

When I go to the Drake forums, I can't understand their accents. At least I assume that's it, because while I know they're speaking English, I really don't get much of what they're saying. It almost feels like Hunter S Thompson having a conversation...with himself.

3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

<<<<-------My cousin's elementary buddy

4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Even Bob White?

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

A sleazy guide used one of my images once (as well as some from other guides ). I had an attorney send him a 'Cease and Desist' letter as it was illegal to use the photo without my permission. It took finally mailing the letter to the web host but the photo was taken down.

Here's my lay understanding of the law: a photo or other original work is copyrighted as soon as it is taken or created. You don't need to display the copyright symbol or officially register the copyright for it to be protected by copyright law because it is automatically protected as soon as you take the picture (or create the art, writing, music, etc). Since the internet, people somehow think it's a literal 'free- for- all' but the person who violates another's copyright is opening themselves up to a potentially expensive fine. Last I knew, it was up to $25,000 per copy/use depending on a bunch of legal criteria I won't go into as I'm not a lawyer, but have dealt with it through my job. Officially registering the copyright gives you the highest monetary recovery potential but as I said, it is still illegal to use someone else's photographs without their permission - and my attorney would say to get that in writing!

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Whatever the legalities, it's a chump move. Can't promote your own accomplishments so use stolen photos.

7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

I bet I know which picture that was:)

8. tkww

tkww Member

Correct. More specifically, you can recover a fee for usage (via court) sans copyright registration. IOW, If it would have normally cost X for a person/site/entity to have bought and used the image in the manner the stolen material was used, then you can sue them for X. (In this day an age of stock photography, that usually ain't much...) However if you'd like punitive damages or any further monetary remuneration, you will have needed to have copyrighted it.

jwg likes this.
  9. scottr

scottr Active Member

Sounds like Orvis stepped up and all parties are happy with the outcome. Mistakes happen, but how you fix them is often what is most important.

fredaevans, triploidjunkie and PT like this.
  10. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

This is the first time in my life I actually did something legit...The avatar is mine....and that's my favorite old heavy-ass Fenwick.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I'm not smart enough to steal somebody's picture on the internet. I have to use my own pictures.

enlightened likes this.
  12. tkww

tkww Member

I don't disagree--it'd be nice to see more integrity up front--but there's not effing way corporate Orvis participated in that. There's a difference between A/B/C/fill-in-you-adjective-of-choice-for-how-you-feel-about-Orvis and Orvis trying to commit publicity suicide.

scottr likes this.
  13. scottr

scottr Active Member

This happened with the Orvis Boulder Instagram acct and not the Orvis Corp Social team. It was probably a shop guy who committed the copyright infringement yet Orvis corp stepped up and made it right by paying the photographer a usage fee. I am sure Orvis corp & Boulder Retail dealt with the employee and it won't happen again.

There is a generation of people who have grown up with the internet. They've always had the world of content and information at their fingertips. This is a generation that either doesn't respect or understand copyright law, it is an anachronism because "information wants to be free man."

As someone who has worked with intellectual properties that were widely pirated I don't agree with the free information mentality nor do I agree with how the RIAA dealt with the 13 year olds who ripped music from Napster.

enlightened and Irafly like this.
  14. generic

generic Justified

I'm reminded of the words, "... and in those days, every man did what seemed right in his own eyes."

Seems like that's the norm now-a-days. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean it's right.

15. tkww

tkww Member

No, you're right. But let's just keep going--I mean, why stop at corporations? The parents of all murderers should also be in prison.

Seriously, WTF is "accountable"? Foreseeing a mistake a single individual made with their magic psychic powers and not stopping it? Yeah, as crazy as it sounds, Corporate Orvis didn't think to include "don't steal" in their employee handbook because...oh, I don't know, it kinda seemed fucking obvious. Not including "thou shalt not" of every conceivable wrong someone could do isn't dodging accountability.

There was a problem, they fixed it. There is only one wrongdoer here, and hopefully he's out of a job. Unless you have some sort of evidence of widespread theft of copyright that suggests a willful corporate culture of dishonesty at Orvis, your whole "corporate" rant is weirdly off base here.

Irafly likes this.