Ban On Steelhead Fishing From Boats?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bob Triggs, Oct 28, 2009.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

True: A fresh steel may hit yarn and globugs just as quick as bait.

However:

The worse part is that sore mouthed fish will hit bait again and again.

I have talked to sled guys who brag about catching the same native 4 times in a day. They even claim it is because of their special "cure". And that isn't an unusual circumstance, that is normalish.

2. the_trout_bum

the_trout_bum ifish

sounds like somebody doesnt have a boat to fish out of!

3. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

I don't have a boat to fish out of...and it make me sad.

4. LD

LD Active Member

1) I would just like to see single barbless hook.

2) They will never ban all boats. But a ban on jet boats would be fine by me. It is one thing to drift through a run or get out and fish from shore. It is entirely different running up a hole multiple times with 3 t0 4 rods on both sides of the boat.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

LD,

You can use a single barbless hook any time you want. Why do you want every one else to do it? (playing devil's advocate here, if it isn't obvious)

WDFW won't ban boat fishing because most fishing regulations have nothing to do with creating quality fishing experiences (exceptions: the quality lakes and fly fishing only waters). Most regulations are about being inclusive at the level of the least common denominator, rather than exclusive. A jet boat repeatedly pounding a hole with multiple rods fishing is seen as a good thing, increasing the exploitation rate on exploitable fish (hatchery steelhead, for instance, that are created for the sole purpose of being caught).

Sg

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

If you ban boats there will be more wading. Redds would suffer too. If you ban wading then more will crowd the very limited bank accessible spots. The pressure on those spots would result in more riverside habitat damage as people tried to make more space, faster access, etc. I'm all for bait bans. If a river or whole system must be shut down to allow a few years of recovery to happen that might be the best method. Interesting subject Mr. Triggs, interesting comments have resulted.

7. Michael Thompson

Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

Home Page:
    iagree YEAH!

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Ok, now we have an interest in banning boats altogether, well jet boats anyway. If you are interested in getting jets banned on the Skagit might I suggest you join up with the eagle gawkers. They hate jet boats and they have a bit of political muscle. Well, at least they are very visible and can honestly say they have little impact on the resource. They need your support also since they had to cancel their festival this year because of money problems. Until then I will continue to run my jet up and down the river as many times as it takes.

9. longstick

longstick Member

Salmo G,
    Sorry, I was talking about fish in a whole. As far as steelhead goes between 6-12 Steelhead in the last 5 years. Some where flyfisherman and some gear guys. I have seen more salmon and trout then anything else. Coho and kings would be the most common. 8 years ago out in a flyout camp I use to work at, we got a lot of fly guys from Scotland and England and they killed more Silvers then I have ever seen before or since. I had to get all the guides together and had all the clients watch the guides fight some fish to show them how they can still have fun with a battle, but they needed to bring the fish in quickly. During dinner they talked to us about why they took their time. Where they were from they only land a few salmon a year and how expensive it was to fish the prime water in Europe. They just wanted to enjoy the fight and didn't understand that they were going to land alot of fish in their week. (Didn't have the Experience) I have lots of my clients each year loosen the drags on my reels and wear out fish. They normally hear a speach as I am reveiving the 1st fish from shore or from a boat.

10. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Regarding a bait ban, I agree with Salmo that the biggest impacts of using bait are usually seen with juveniles. I would rather see more restrictions on hook size. Some of the huge hooks I see people using (barbless or not) inflict a lot of damage. The juvenile fish get it the worst. Not sure what the current regs are, but I would support limiting the max hook size to about a #4 or 2 and implement year-round barbless restrictions in fisheries with wild steelhead.

11. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Some form of bait ban makes more sense to me. I would think the biggest beneficiaries of this would be the juvenile fish. Any statistics out there on the juvenile fish loss in the CnR seasons?

Build a big tent to effect change. Alienating groups won't accomplish this.

12. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

I agree with Evan, at certain times on each river system you want to harvest the brats.

I am not an advocate of making more rules (enforcement issues) but cut off times for boat-bait fishing vs selective gear- walk wade rules could be an effective management tool for the fisheries. Promote hatchery harvest - protect native runs.

Is there enough run timing data for each river to reach affective targeting dates?

13. ospreysteelhead

ospreysteelhead Member

14. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    What about fishing from a boat in big water? Some runs I fish on the clearwater are slots in the middle of the river, and I can't cast 300 feet with a skagit head yet.

15. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Did a quick qooqle search, but couldn't find anything on the positive or negative affects of fishing from a boat for steelhead. Can anybody find something related to this topic that would shed some light on the subject? After looking some more I still couldn't find anything.

Bob, would you mind passing on some referrences so I can make an informed decision based on scientific results?