Basin Lake Report - What is it with some people?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Mike, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

May I ask why (almost) everyone on this thread is taking care not to mention this lake? I've been there several times. It's easy to find, and I have no idea what is meant by "difficult access", it's a 5 minute walk from the car, maybe less. Is this place really all that super-sekrit?

Every time I've been to ____ Lake, I've seen the shoreline beat to crap at the put-in. It seems folks really just don't give a damn about taking care. Unfortunate, but any place in the universe that's easily accessed by cars is going to get beat up. One of the reasons I like to take to the remote corners of the high country.

2. ribka

ribka Active Member

Have to agree this lake is no secret.
    Would prefer to have fly fishermen there than power baiters poaching fish which has been a big problem in the past few years just like at D&^$# lake.

I was there last Friday in a float tube and yelled at the guy who drove down to the lake
    Do not think he will do it again

Notice all of the big dead trout on the bottom in the shallow areas of the secret lake
    Winterkill I presume?

3. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I was wondering the same about the fish in the shallows... there were a bunch of them. Strange. You may be right about that Ribka, given the shallow water they are in. Oh, to answer your question Allison I'd just say because while it's certainly no secret it's kinda a gem (or could be again) if it remains relatively less known. I've had some really fine times there by myself. It's not always this crowded and ridiculous...

4. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

The place has gone downhill. Fished it as a kid. I'd rather fish other lakes though, I like fry plants, not truck fresh triploids.

5. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Not a big fan of the Hatchery Brats myself. I'm much more used to fish that grew up in the lakes they now live in, possibly because of my background of fishing the high lakes.

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

The comment about the truck fresh trips got me thinking (I know you all were wondering what that burnt smell was).
    Last spring I went up the Fish lake (near Lake Wenatchee) and there were a bunch of dead planters at the Cove launch.
    What happens is the water temps in the truck are much warmer than the lake temps and the fish go into shock and many die.
    I'm wondering if that was the cast at Beda.
    Beda got a plant in late November before freeze up of catchables 8" to 10" were these dead fish bigger than 12"?

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

The croakers I saw were substantially larger than 12". If they'd been dead since November their carcasses would most likely not been visible at all. The ones I saw were all in the channel between the launch and the main lake in 6-10 feet of water. Didn't see any in other parts of the lake with similar depth which had me thinking of post-release morbidity as the cause of death.

K

8. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

You would think that the guy dumping the fish would try to make some adjustments to water temps to help with survival.
    The plant in November was around on the south side of the lake from the truck tracks I found while hunting.
    I didn't see any dead fish at the release site at that time.
    I wonder if Trout Lodge is using their own truck or if the PUD did the stocking, because I didn't see a stocking report in the WDFW site.
    Always makes me wonder.

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

+1
    I'm not a fan of the genetic zombies

10. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Beda Beda Beda Beda, there now its public domain within the internet community. Its no secret, but I think folks wanted to keep it low key because sooner or later the word would get out and it'd go to pot. You'll end up there with 30 of of your best friends this weekend. Im moving onto the April 1st opener on some other lakes.

11. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

More like BeeDaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Zoo like atmosphere

12. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    The internet is a double bladed sword and generally the forums are a great place to find reports and scope out new lakes, but on the flipside, the fisheries end up getting mobbed by a growing community of fisherman. While its great for the sport to educate, bring in dollars for the state and for retailers, it ultimately effects the fishery and puts stress on the ecosystem. Is it me or within the last couple of years has the popularity of stillwater fishing boomed??!?! I had a report from a friend of mine who counted 31 cars at Lenice last Saturday. When he turned around and left, there were two cars waiting for his parking spot! Lets not bastardize our resources and turn this into a Costco for every Tom, Dick and Harry to ruin. I can imagine on a busy weekend 40-50 boats on a 50 acre lake, then a few years from now that number turning to 60-70, man, that is just madness! The state smiles on the revenue but how does the lake and its residents feel?

13. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I can remember back a few years there was some fly club outing there and no place to park at beda. walked out to the lake and so many float tubes it looked like a bowl of cherios.

14. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Sad but true, after a long cold winter for the dry side guys and the wet siders to come over to the dry side, these little gems of lakes with big trout get hammered.
    I used to be able to go to RF when it was the only open water and not have to bring my own rock, but not any more.
    Between the poachers and the C&R guys the trout get pretty tired.
    I can hardly wait for the April opener when I'll be able to walk across Blue lake from boat deck to boat deck.
    You wet side guys and gals are gonna love this. You all are so used to driving bumper to bumper you would not feel right without fishing bumper to bumper.
    I'm just funning ya, ha, ha

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I was there one day when one of those clubs showed up. By the time the entire club roster had kicked out on to the main lake, you'd hear a 'whoosh', 'whoosh' behind you and realize it was someone's backcast from a tube or toon 20-30 yards away. I remember thinking 'someone's gonna get an eye put out from all these flying feathers'.

Another friend was visiting relatives in Soap Lake this last Saturday. He drove out to Beda, took one look at all the cars and turned around and left.

K