Bass fishing on the fly

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Roper, Jan 13, 2003.

1. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I've seen plenty of small mouth that would kick any stocker triploid rainbow's a$$. Pound for pound they great fighters and jumpers compared to many of the other fish around here. Large mouth are fun to catch - especially for the explosive surface smashes they can do. But they fight for about 10 seconds then give up usually... (unless they get you wrapped up in the weeds first)

2. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Fishing is fishing

I was raised in N.Y. in Fulton which is near Lake Ontario which had and I suppose still has some mighty smallmouth bass. If it wasn't so damn far, I'd go there again because I know some hot spots.

I have heard that the lower Kalama where it is almost to Columbia is good. Does anyone know anything about this area?:dunno

3. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

>"I've seen plenty of small mouth that would kick any
    >stocker triploid rainbow's a$$".

I think you have hit the nail right on the head with that statement. Small mouth bass from a fast flowing stretch of river are a ton of fun. They are completely different from lake dwelling large mouth. It's something that I have not indulged in for far too many years. It's my impression that they are relatively common in eastern WA and Idaho. Probably eastern Oregon rivers too.
    If anyone has any info about them in those parts I would love to know more.

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I was considering a day of guided fishing for smallmouth on the Umpqua River in west-central OR this past summer. Didn't end up pulling the trigger on the trip, but guides down there 'guarantee' 100 fish days in July and August.

A few years back I fished some rivers around Pittsburgh, PA in the spring and caught zillions of dink smallies (6-12") on ultralight spinning gear. Loads of fun.

Rod

5. steve

steve New Member

Speaking of bass, I have to say when I was living on the CA delta striped bass on fly rod fought as hard as any steelhead, trout, or salmon I have ever caught. Not to knock the salmoniods, but Stripers in the delta really kick. I also had a lot of fun with large mouth, shad, blue gill, crappie, and the occasional cat fish, which were also a lot fun when they were big. I prefer salmoniods, but in the heat of the summer you take what you can get.

6. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Regarding smallmouth bass I have 3 words for you - JOHN DAY RIVER. Check one of the recent NW Flyfishing magazines (I can't remember which one but it might have been Summer of 2002) for more details on this central Oregon river and how to access it. :thumb

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Thanks for the info.
    I just ordered back issues of Northwest FlyFishing. It looks like the Fall 2002 has an article on the John Day and the Summer 2000 features the Columbia smallmouth fishery.

8. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

FYI - I've got a fishing buddy who does an annual multi-day float down the John Day in late summer and claims that 100 fish days are common. It would be hard to believe except that he's got photos and video to prove it. I asked him why he bothered with the video at all if the fishing was that good since he used about 1-1/2 hours of tape. His answer - he needed a break every now and then from casting and from catching fish.

I'm scheduled to go with him this year to see for myself...sounds like I'll need to hit the gym with my casting arm first though.......;-)

9. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

bass fishing near everett??? if you have a float tube you can get into some of the funnest lake fishing available in the area thsi summer. explore flowing lake and you will be rewarded. not many fish but man are there some hawgs!! ignore the lily pads near the public boat launch (for the most part) as i have had minimal success there. right across from the public launch there is a patch of lily pads that eventually turns into a row of docks. sneak up on the docks and pepper the water between the pads and the docks. i have noticed many a hawg crusing that area. try fishing a popper along the dock edges or drag a large bugger or erratically strip a clouser along the inside weedline. another good spot is in the cove adjacent to the state park. back in the NW corner there is an inlet (or outlet?) that is choked with lily pads and upright pillars. break out the 8weight here with a stout leader and try for a hawg catching some shade. also the inside weedline of the massive weedbed located off of the point of the northern shoreline is prime. basically if you had 3 or 4 hours to fish the lake i would put my money on the entire northern shoreline starting from the state park launch and extending west all along the shoreline. tight lines and good luck!!! release any biggies as they are most important to the future of the fishery!! private message me if you are interested in any more info on snohomish county bass fishing.

~sean~