bass fishing tips

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by EJO, Apr 11, 2010.

1. EJO

EJO Member

I've been a flyfisher for years and with the river closures, and work being busy I have been fishing local lakes in the skagit county area. I can catch trout on lakes no prob but bass seem to be 5 feet away from my best cast. I go to South Carolina every year and fish the ponds around the golf courses and do very well. The problem is, WE DON'T LIVE IN SC.

Does anyone have any tips for me for fishing for bass in the next couple of months. I went out last night on Big Lake with no moon and tried a popper for a bit and woke up early this morning and tried the popper for a few casts and switched to a bead head wooley bugger, and had one little tail nibble along a sunken log (probably a little panfish) .

Have caught many bass on gear growing up, but would rather catch lilly pad on a fly than catch WALTER on a spinner bait.

Anything helps, and always willing to have a beer in between casts.

EJO

2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I have had success with small poppers in the middle of summer; as you know, drop them along the edge of lily pads, let them sit, then twitch. I have also had had success fishing damsel nymphs off lily pads when the damsels are emerging in June in your area; again, cast to the edge, let the damsel sink a bit, then twitch. Right now, it is still a tad cool for active bass feeding; one can catch them, but you're better off targeting trout for now and wait for some heat to target bass. I have read that bass feeding really picks up when water temperatures reach 50oF; if you still want to push the early season, find sections of the lake that are receiving the most sunshine and therefore warming early.

Steve

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

A little early for poppers as Cabezon mentioned. Water water temps need to be higher. PM and will give you some tips

4. KenPCPilot

KenPCPilot New Member

Don't be afraid to try streamers and or wooley buggers especially large ones. I was targeting trout in a couple different eastern washington lakes and could not keep the LMB from taking my olive wooley bugger. Retrieving short jerks to give it some life. I have caught some on poppers in smaller shallower lakes like Swafford Pond in Lewis County. I am no casting pro and poppers are harder for me to cast very far or accurately. Has anyone ever tried a hair mouse or frog pattern with any luck?

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

You need to go deeper. It's traditionally about a month or two before Bass turns into a popper game here(recent bizarre weather excluded in some lakes I've heard). Look for places that a bass would spawn. Move away from shore until you hit the ledge below the spawning grounds. Go deep with a crayfish or minnow imitation over the ledge. Sitefishin will heat up as the water heats up. If you want to fish poppers, a tiny frog colored popper with rubber legs trolled very SLOOOOWWW will get you into stocker trout. I tie mine on a 3X # 16. any panfish popper pattern will do. Rainbow fry color poppers will work in lakes where rainbow fry have recently been stocked as well.

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Once the water warms up, poppers are a lot of fun. Hit it early and late for best results.
    If you are fishing under a full sun, try to hit the shaded sides around cover like docks, trees etc.

7. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Big heavy buggers with long tails. Think "Banjo minnow" in a Clouser

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Your best bet is to go to the mall and watch the girls. When they start showing up in halter tops, hot pants, open toed sandals and shopping for bikini's the bass will be ready! While the girls are still in turtle neck sweaters the bass will be sluggish even if you catch them.

Patience my man, patience.

Ive

9. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Fish the floating mats. It can be a very short thing all it takes is a good windy week to ruin it. But if you can catch it right fish patterns that have a little weight at the head so you can lift and tap as you bring it back. If they are really on it they will blow up from underneath if not they will attack as you bring it off the edge. COOL STUFF !!!!!