Bass spawning soon!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by dominic7471, Feb 14, 2007.

1. TomB

TomB Active Member

I was fishing near the UW hatchery outlet, 400 ft away to be legal, and near some docks....i also tried by foster island...i was throwing clousers on an intermediate clear sinking line with a 10ft type 4 looped on so i was probably fishing between 4 and 8 or so feet deep. Im sure its a possibility that they just werent hungry or i got unlucky but I was a little suprised i didnt get a bump at the time.

2. Lex

Lex Active Member

3. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Home Page:
    Bass wills tart staging in the low 50s which is the earliest time to fish for them. So the first warm spring in april in ususally wihen the good spawn fishing starts. Some notable lakes, Gissburg Ponds(has very large but hard to catch fish, some up to 25"). Lake sammamish and Washington, Lake Alice, Beaver Lake, Lake Goodwin, Rutherford Slough, and Ravensdale Lake.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

GCB - Nice Smallie :thumb:

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

It wouldn't suprise me with that much food in the water to not get a bump. I was hanging out on a buddies dock near yarrow bay and watched a 2 - 3 pound smallie with a tail of a 10 inch(guestimate) trout sticking out of it's mouth for around 4 hours. If there is big bait in the water, they'll take the biggest they can fit in their mouth and hunker down for a while.

6. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Tom - you were in a good area. When I was an undergrad at UW I fished there with spinning gear and used to get some nice smallies on jigs. First light was the ticket. The show was over by 7:30 or 8am.

Rod

7. Swandazi

Swandazi Kevin

Edit: Nvm.

8. jbrodie

jbrodie New Member

Lake Loma in the Seven Lakes area is good for large mouths. I live on it and about 15 years ago someone introduced them into the lake. Since then the population of frogs, crawdads and even baby ducks has declined. The north end of the lake is shallow with lots of water lilies and warms up earlier than the rest of the lake. Loma is only 21 acres and is just right for float tubes and pontoons. No gas motors. It is also opened year round. There are other lakes in the area that hold bass you just have to do a little research. If you fish Loma be sure to tie weedless flies. If you are not in the weeds you will be wasting your time. I like poppers and hair flies on the surface. If this will not work then I go wet. Jim.

9. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Loma is one of my favorite lakes to bass fish around here. Last year, me and HogWrangler went there almost every day and did awesome. Perch clousers and wooly buggers did good, especially with a super fast retrieve.

10. Swandazi

Swandazi Kevin

You could probably pick almost any lake on a map and their would be a pretty high percent chance of their being bass in it. I know of some alpine lakes that even have them....

11. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Dominic, Alot of what has been said is good. Mr.Soltau as usual is right on the mark. I'll give a little local flavor for you. I live in the Federal Way/Auburn area also. All the lakes around you have some very nice Bass in them. The 3 I fish are Killarney,Geneva and North. These tend to be very shallow and the fish start in many years to begin bedding by the 2nd week of March. This is the prime time if you want to get a large female. The best way is to use gear but if you can catch them in the right water then a fly will get them as well if not better . I'm talking these 3 lakes that on most years the spawning is over by May but because of the shallow water the big ones are never out of the question as far as a fly rod goes. June and July are very good times for top water. I love Bass and think of them as the little local lake gift that keeps on giving year after year. They do fill a great niche here in the little local waters. Best of luck and maybe I'll see ya out there !!! :thumb:

12. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I'm also a big fan of using small poppers for largemouths. In particular, it is just amazing to drop the perfect cast into that hole in the lily pads, just off that bit of old tree limb. You know there is a big bass just lurking there, she's been there before but given you the slip. Your cast just plops right in the small opening tight against cover, you let it twitch once, then sit, then twitch again, Just before you're about to twitch it again, a hole appears under your small popper and you're trying to set the hook, bring in the slack in your line, and keep the fish from wrapping you around that limb. Ah, early summer, gotta love it.

Steve

13. herl

herl Member

For the ship cannal crowd:

I do alright in the narrow reach b/w the Fremont bdg and the next basin west. I didn't keep real good track of the bite last year but I know that late spring - mid summer it is pretty hot in the evenings.

I mostly was using spinning gear however since this is right by my house and is my family fishing time (usually with my 1+ yr old or wife). Also there are lots of trees and joggers. There are a few places where you can fly cast from shore and I have even waded out a little when I was really hell bent on ffing. My biggest last year was around 3lbs. (gold rattle-trap). Good 'ole fun.

Eric

14. Swandazi

Swandazi Kevin

I've heard The Sammamish Slough can be alright in the summer? Any one ever fished it? for bass. At marymoor theirs this dock with pilings in front of it and lilly pads on the side and its shallow and looks like it might hold fish in the summer.

15. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Sammamish has a lot of really big bass too but I have never flyfished it only conventional