Bat Trouble.....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Seth Tyson, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

Has anyone ran into issues with bats attacking your flies? I had one take a fresh tied fly and some tippet in mid cast last night. After a few more bats hit I called it quits. I doubt there's anything an angler could do in such a scenario ????

Also, If anyone finds a bat carrying a few flies, and you manage to remove them, pm me for and address to send them back. ;)

2. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

Stop fishing...

As someone who got bit by one of those buggers last year on the St. Joe (not in the process of fishing and randomly during mid day heat and sun), they are not worthwhile to deal with! $10K in vaccines later and I can tell you that I'd say screw it, and move to a different spot, or call it a night.

Also, bats will often times be pretty concentrated near areas with good food and shelter (crazy huh...) and you can get away from them if you make an effort. Then again, the best late hatches bring out the fish too! It sucks, but I'd stop fishing and let nature do it's thing.

3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yeah, a number of years ago I'd hiked into Annette Lake up by Snoqualmie Pass for a couple days of relaxation.

After dinner one evening I walked around to the opposite side of the lake from my campsite and was able to land a nice 14" bow on a Black Gnat. It was gettin' pretty dark so I decided to get back to my camp. I had the rod held out over the water as I was traversing the shoreline. All of a sudden my rod starting jerking and I thought "Shit! A fish has jumped out of the water and grabbed my fly!"

But I couldn't see any disturbance in the water at all! I'm thinkin' WTF??? when the rod starts being pulled upward!!

I'd hooked a bat and he was struggling mightily to get off my line. I was able to reel him in a bit, gave the line a few shakes and off the little sucker flew!!

4. scottr

scottr Active Member

I hate bats.

Caught one on Icicle Creek years ago, got as close as I dared and cut the tippet. They are the only animal in Washington known to carry rabies.

Did I mention I hate bats?

5. Dipnet

Oh, and a related story:

I was doing some casting practice in our backyard a few weeks ago. I tied a bit of yarn on the end of the tippet so I could easily see how my cast was working.

Well, each time I'd strip back in, the sparrows would fly down out of the trees, land and follow and try to eat the yarn as it was moving through the grass.

Pretty funny! :D

6. Dipnet

Although I know they can harbor rabies, I think they're pretty cool!

I enjoy sitting on our deck at dusk and watching all the bats come out and perform their aerial acrobatics in search of bugs.

I'm thinkin' of putting up a bat house in one of our cedar trees in order to attract more of these flying critters!

Even though there's a retention pond about 50 ft. off our backyard fence we are never bothered by mosquitoes. I give a great deal of credit to our batty neighbors for that!! :)

PatrickH likes this.
  7. scottr

scottr Active Member

Bats are cool, just not on the end of my fly line or finger.

aplTyler and RadioFly like this.
  8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

When the bats come out, I stop flyfishing. Sure, you can cut your leader but this means you still must get within 10 feet or so of critter that may potentially have rabies... and you don't want to be within 10 feet of that possibility.

Plus, there's always a chance that the bat is actually a vampire in bat form and you don't want to hook one of those guys either... :p

aplTyler likes this.
  9. Dipnet

A garlic necklace works well, Gene!

10. Dipnet

The most awesome bats I've seen were in Australia.

The first night my buddy and I arrived in Oz we took local transport up to the smallish seaside community of Port Douglas.

After settling into our room we went down to the restaurant/lounge and ate dinner. Mike had a bit too much Scotch so decided to crash. I walked down to the beach at close to midnight in order to enjoy the beach and see the Southern Cross for the first time.

There were lights at fair distances up-and-down the beach and huge fruit bats were flying in-and-out of the illuminated areas. Some of these suckers looked to have nearly 3 foot wingspans!

A very, very cool experience and memory!

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I just don't fish at night. You shouldn't either if all you are catching is bats.

Dipnet likes this.
  12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I thought that was for werewolves???

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I had that problem last night. They kept trying to pluck my dryfly off the surface. So I tied on a soft hackle. Problem solved. My line speed kept them from getting it on the cast, and once it hit the water, it stayed just under the surface film where the bats ignored it. The fish sure didn't. I was reminded why this softhackle was my favorite caddis emerger pattern, when right at dark I landed a gorgeous nineteen inch wild bow. It fought like a much bigger fish. I checked my watch. 9:00 pm, time to go. It was getting too dark to make out rises anyway.

14. Dipnet

RadioFly likes this.
  15. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

I had the ultimate compliment one time, not from a bat, but a swallow picked up one of my flies off the water. I was so proud to have fooled it....