BC bound?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by yellowlab, May 23, 2011.

1. Anyone been up there recently and care to PM me for reports? I am thinking a mid June trip. It sounds like a late ice off but some pigs to be found with Brian Chan getting kudos for his 10 lb Pennask bow at Roche.

2. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Just got back from four days of fishing. Lake was at 3600 feet, water temperature was 52.

It had been a tough winter for the fish. They were thinner than last year.

We had great weather for three days. I think you timing is probably perfect. Good luck.

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Talked with two guys today that returned yesterday from Roche and their report was you had to work for every fish.

They saw Chan's entry in the book of the above fish. Nice

4. Ryan Singh-Cundy

Ryan Singh-Cundy Member

ice just went off the lakes at my familys property at 3000 feet, some other lakes further into the mountains and higher up are probably still iced over. Early to mid june is my favorite time to fly fish in bc, water is still nice and cool and the fish are still pretty shallow, but there are still some really nice hatches, i have seen some huge caddis that time of year. By July the water gets a little on the warm side and the fish go deep, at that point its pretty much a gear fishermans game trolling big plugs and spinner down deep, though there are still a few fly fishable hatches later in the evening.

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

I have several friends going June 3-8 I will let you know how they do.
    jesse

6. mrb

mrb New Member

Just returned from 4 days on Roche last week. Beautiful strong fish. Caught some on chrironomids at about 10-12 feet depth. In the mornings and evenings they could be caught in 5-6 feet of water on mini leaches. During the day most of the fish were caught by chironomids fished at 35 to 40 ft, some with leaders that long, others with a full sink line just off the bottom. It felt a little less like flyfishing but was productive. It snowed for a full day and was rainy most of the rest of the time. June may be a better bet!

7. minoru kusano

minoru kusano New Member

Merite area Lower Kane Lake on May 28th.
    chironomids about #16 to 14, 12 t 15 feet.
    fishing condition was on and off.
    seatal

8. VERY NICE! That fish Kamloop bow looks to be stuffed in your net, what does the length of your hoop run on that net? Damn!

9. gmole

gmole Member

heading up to fawn lake and watch in the morning up near 100 mile house..will let you know..weather looks really good for some big hatches

10. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I was up at Sheridan last weekend . The lake had just finished turning the previous weekend . Lots of storm cells moving through the area on the Friday and Saturday made for some tough fishing . Sunday was much better , and from what I`ve been told , the fishing has been getting better every day since . You could be in for a good trip .

11. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

nice fish - but why would anybody buy a 12 inch net ?

12. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I was up there as well. Dang! Wish I had known. Yeah fishing was tough. Saturday (my first day ever on the lake) I landed 12 with one at 24". I thought fishing was slow but after talking to other folks on the lake it sounds like I was the hero out there. Sunday I played guide to the other folks with me but trying to run 4 fly rods out of a big boat, keep it anchored and give instructions, was just a tad out of my league. We hooked two but both came unbuttoned. In the afternoon we parted ways (they noticed some trollers doing well out deep) and I found 7 in the afternoon, none of those were over 20 except for maybe one that came unbuttoned part of the way through the fight.

Ira..

13. Thats no 12" net, more like 20", the poster said he was catching them 12 to 15' down. I was just inquiring about the hoop opening, but judging by the photo, that fish is prob. pushing 22-23"

14. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

YES I KNOW - I WAS KIDDING small fish look nothing like those pigs !

15. gmole

gmole Member

just got back from fawn and watch lake...weather was fantastic but the lakes were off..got a 6.8 at watch that would have won the derby but we didnt enter...is was kind of a dog and pony show since there were so many gang trollers and radio's blasting the canucks game...we caught fish in the shallows on chironomids in 14 green and 14 crome. Fished roach on the way home and it was great from 11 to 3 with huge black and some dark green on the back chironomids from the fish we pumped. They were hitting in 16 to 7 feet of water. we had thunder and lightning but it didnt seem to bother the fish. hope you have a good trip