BC River Steelhead Population?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Panheadsully, Dec 3, 2013.

1. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    Ottorotate only stated a pure and simple fact that's backed up by decades of data...nothing sensitive about it.

A few years ago people were depressed over how that particular Fraser River tributary was done forever. The escapement was roughly 500 fish and a lot of people thought it would never open again. By all accounts this season might be best year in quite some time for the quality of fishing but that euphoria could be short lived. I'm not sure of the factors behind the apparent quality of fishing this season, but the escapement probably won't be over 1,000 fish. That's pretty abysmal by all accounts and doesn't point to a fishery that's coming back by any means. There's been a slight positive cycle, but the long term trend is still down unfortunately.

Depending on the timing of chum openings at the mouth of the Fraser, next season could be the worst on record. Who knows...there isn't a lot of wiggle room on the low end! It's awful premature to declare a comeback.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I love me some Fraser and Howe Sound tribs. But it's not the steelhead that take me there. Also: Helps to have a sled in thems parts.

3. psycho

psycho Active Member

The young man in the above picture would be called a top rod any where in BC including the Dean. I watched him tying flies when he was ten or eleven years old that would make most tiers on this board including me want to give up tying.:D His father is a pretty good fly fisherman too.:D

4. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Yes, I was fishing with his father on the Bulkley and Morice when his son sent us this picture! Spent 2 weeks with his dad in New Zealand a couple years ago and had a ball! Sorry guys about the reference to the Thompson. It was the picture above that got me think that it was improving as well as the fact that it was closed for quite a while and is now open! Obviously didn't have my facts straight. Probably the sea run cutthroat in Burrard inlet or the Fraser or the bull trout in the Squamish (and possible steelhead), would have been better examples of fishing opportunities near Bellingham ! Rick

5. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    The T fish are clearly depressed in comparison to the histric averages. They are also quite aggressive. If a man was to put his fly over 3 fish, he may get 3 takes. Fortunately, since it's a C&R fishery it's highly unikely that any of those 3 fish would be any worse for it.
    Personally, I wouldn't post a pic like that on the web, because there is a very limitted amount of fishable water on the T and that picture gives only the glory part of fishing the T, not the hours and hours of effort and cold it takes to hook a T steelhead.
    Of course, I rarely even write the names of rivers on the interwebz and I took no pic of my last several steelhead.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

6. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Hey Charles, where can I catch a steelhead?

Derek Day likes this.
  7. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    You? Right behind me, usually.

Go Sox,
    cds

Chris Johnson likes this.
  8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

That spot is already taken..

underachiever likes this.