Beach Fishing Bainbridge, Kitsap and the Hood canal

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jered, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Books, Magazines, websites, forums and blogs all have their place in the learning curve of an angler. But there is absolutely nothing that can take the place of your time spent on the water. Pick just a few beaches, maybe two or three to begin with, not far from your home- and get to know them. Walk them and fish on them at every stage of tide, no matter what anyone else tells you about it. Explore the lowest low tides, and slack tides, and all of the incoming and outgoing tides. Do this often. And you don't have to have a fishing rod in your hand every time that you do this. Going without a rod will almost guarantee that you will see fish feeding within casting distance. Notice the marine life on the near shore areas, pay attention to any insects you may see; hoppers, moths, bees, ants, termites, beetles etc. And use dry flies that imitate the insects that you observe. Learn about the forage species on your beaches, especially sandlance, sculpin, herring, surf smelt, sardines, shrimp, amphipods, euphasids etc. Become an amateur Naturalist and student of your home waters. Yes, it does take some time to get into it all. But if you keep it fun and interesting it will not be work, it will be renewal. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

2. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Bob speaks the truth, I was lucky enough to fish with him last weekend and learned quite a bit. I normally get into a fish or two when I hit the beaches but with Bob I learned WHY I found fish when and where I did. I also learned a whole bunch about fly size and "matching the hatch" in the salt, I am not a big fly changing person and will fish the same thing the whole day. We swapped flies sometimes after 1 or 2 swings on active fish and were rewarded with a tug instantly.

Not even his coffee could fix my casting though :p

Bob Triggs likes this.
  3. Jered

Jered Active Member

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

See you out there,

Jered

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Great advice all around here. I agree that gear fisherman are a great resource. As much of an ass as he can be, a lot can be learned by watching Herring Dan.

Tacoma Red, ten80 and Kcahill like this.
  5. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Yeah, like you only need to cast 30ft and drags are for sissy fisherman! haha :eek: :D

Nick Clayton likes this.
  6. Nick Clayton

Ya, and make sure you turn around and scream loudly at any female fishers who have the audacity to even CONSIDER fishing near you.

7. Jered

Jered Active Member

Fished a beach near the house this morning and my wife and I each caught two Cuts... that feels better. I'd post a picture but they are already much larger in my memory than the picture portrays ;)

8. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

Just don't go to PNP if you like "fishing."

9. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

BTW - I live near you. You don't need to go to PNP. I have been out about 20 times this year. I have been "true skunked" (no tugs, no swirls, no follows) twice. One of them was at PNP, the other at a local beach. The other 18 trips have been local beaches and they have been great trips! There are a lot of spots around here, just explore.

10. Nick Clayton

Indeed. Only go there if you like synchronized swimming.

11. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

I am sure it is better for those of you who live in Hansville. Problem is, I can't learn the beach, b/c I can never move. I get there, pick a spot and fish that same damn spot for 3 hours b/c people are lined up and down to the left and right of the lighthouse. So, I don't know if I'm even picking a good spot. At my local beaches, I can see the current shift and know the structure, so I can move to better spots that might only be 30-40 feet away. I have no clue at PNP b/c I just stand there looking around thinking - "I hope some fish swim in front of me."

12. Jered

Jered Active Member

Love the insight. Nice morning of fishing today, thanks Bagman. Five minute walk to a beach from my house, I'll start with that one tomorrow.

13. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

That's often true about not being able to move around a lot. That said, there are fish caught in about every area of that beach any given day. If a good rip moves in on a different spot on the beach you can usually get in because a lot of people there have a "spot" and don't ever move even if the good water does. The fish move in and cruise the shore so most likely anywhere you get stuck you have a shot at some fish. But it's certainly not the spot to go if you want a beach to yourself!

14. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I am always looking for moving water. If I have to walk to it and no one is fishing it I will. This has never been a problem at PNP. Many people gather where others do because they think that's where the fish are or they don't want to walk very far from their car or they're plain lazy. I have never stood in one spot for three hours unless I am catching fish. The fish are moving and so do I.

Leland.

flybill and Jason Rolfe like this.
  15. Jered

Jered Active Member

Did some exploring today.

9.1.13 Cut 2.jpg