Bear spray

IveofIone

I don't own any. I want some. Last week I was way the hell and gone up an Idaho stream off of a dirt road fishing for cutthroat back in the boonies. I wasn't packin' and had no spray, I felt kinda naked.

Is there one brand that stands out or is more highly regarded than others and if so what is it? I'll be back in the wilderness in a couple of weeks and would like to have some along.

Ive

GAT

Dumbfounded
You'll never know what spray doesn't work because whoever needed to spray a charging bear won't be here to make a post indicating how poorly the spray performed.

Salmo_g

I've,

I also carry the Counter Assault, but have yet to use it. So far yelling and loudly blowing a referee's style whistle has turned the bears around for me.

Sg

I've,

I also carry the Counter Assault, but have yet to use it. So far yelling and loudly blowing a referee's style whistle has turned the bears around for me.

Sg
I was way out in the wilds if SW Alaska last year with an outfitter who has over 30 years experience guiding. He carried a 12 gauge and each client had bear spray and a small boat horn (the aerosol kind). That horn was unbelievably loud and the two times he used it the bears couldn't get away fast enough. It was smaller than the bear spray we each carried.

Abomb

Care to share the details of the two encounters? Was the bear charging or just getting too close?

One was at night. Young male kept coming up our 6 and would not leave us alone. We were hiking into our bow hunting spot at 3am. Finally had enough and sprayed him at 30' or so. Man did that bear make a ruckus clearing out of there.

Second one was a female with cubs. Hiking into another drainage chasing Elk. Moving down a trail real fast when BAM, out of the brush a Sow with cubs plops onto the trail. She false charged twice to less than 40'. Third time she came hard, knew she meant business this time. Buddy was ready to shoot her with his 44mag, I sprayed her at 15', hoping she would bluff and back off. Better than having to dispatch her, always last resort. Her cubs could barely keep up with her as she departed.

Before the armchair QB's come out. I have lived and Hunted/Hiked in the most heavily bear infested areas in the lower 48 for most of my life, Taylor Fork, Upper Sunlight, Thoroughfare just to name a few and know how to move around in the woods with bears.

freestoneangler

Not to be confused with Freestone
Good to hear. I think many (myself included) are a bit skeptical as to the effectiveness of sprays. I always wonder if the animal damn near needs to be on top of you to really use them... how far they reach, windy conditions, etc. Given that they have such an acute, sensitive olfactory gland, it probably does not take a concentrated amount to get them thinking we creatures stink and not want any part of us :eek:.