Beaver Lake Trip Plant

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Lex Story, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

The Beaver Lake in Sammamish. You could say the same about lakes named Lost.

2. Lex Story

My Bro also brought up Lakes named Black, Deep, Fish and Clear. There seem to be a lot of redundancies

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Hey Lex, I usually try to avoid fishing the day of the plant because of my experience after the truck showed up one day while I was on the far side of the lake (Lake Narwhalsawzall). I wasn't aware of the planting going on, and when I returned to the launch, I ran into a bunch of fresh-out-of-the-chute, confused, stupid and tightly schooled hatchery cutthroat hanging out under a floating dock not far fromthe ramp.
    I saw a couple of boils on the surface and made a cast. Fish on! A 15" cutt! Played and released that one, and saw another boil, and made another cast. I missed about 3 grabs before I hooked up, played and released another nice cutt. I repeated this exercise a couple of more times before I suspected that something just wasn't normal. I'm not that good, and I'd never seen such "hot" action on the lake before. So I figured it out that these were freshly planted dummies because I am familiar with the approximate times that that lake gets stocked, and it was about that time, and the lake was due for some more plants.
    So I reeled in and called it a day. I checked the stocking reports at the end of the week, and sure enough, I'd hit a ball of confused fish only hours out of the truck.
    I went back about a week after that day and enjoyed angling for the now spread out cutthroat, as well as some nice hatchery 'bows that had gotten stocked.
    So if the newly stocked fish haven't spread out, they might be balled up and hiding out under someone's dock.

Lex Story likes this.
  4. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

I was out there for 2 hours from 11:30-1:30. i got no hits nothing but other people were doing well. Two guys were doing really well with a indicator and chironomid, and also a prince nymph.

i must have been doing something wrong today because i couldn't get the schools to hit my fly but watching a huge bald eagle for an hour was a blast :)

@Jim, some of those fish were super stupid coming out of the shoot. they just sat in a school. they all moved together and kept surfacing.

5. Lex Story

It was a good day and I was able to land one good sized fish over 18" I got a lot of bumps with nothing to show for it. Gary on the other hand was really starting to get into them. We were trolling and stripping brown and olive type buggers and careys. I might head back tomorrow morning and give a it a go again.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  6. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Lex, I got into 5 more after you left. I got off the water about 12:30. That Carey and a six pack did the trick nicely. I took my biggest home, a solid 19" fish that clocked in at 3.5 lbs when I got it home. That fish went airborne 4 times for me, the first jump coming about 4 feet out of the water. I lost 3 more and had a few missed hookups. 1 fish I lost at the net, breaking my 3x tippet off with the Carey planted firmly in its mouth. I eyeballed that fish to be over 20". It was great to fish with you today, we should definitely do it again sometime.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Way to go Gary. Pics?

8. Gary Knowels

No pics, I didn't feel like pulling the cell phone out to snap some today. I can take a pic of the gutted and beheaded fish when i get back home if you want....

jjcheng, Patrick Gould and Lex Story like this.
  9. Jim Wallace

No need for the carcass shot! Dead meat just ain't photogenic. Even Lady Gaga can't make it look good.:confused:

Sounds like some good fun bendo action, Gary. Love it when they jump like that.
    Hey, at least now we know what a 19"er weighs in at. I know that at least one of the trout I LDR'd on another lake was about that size.

Someone told me today that an 18"er they got was 3# even. So that fat 18"er that towed me around on Monday was a 3#er!

Are those Beaver plants Triploids? I couldn't find any info on whether or not the larger Narwhalsawzall planters were Trips. Whatever their origin, they are hard fighting Rainbows.

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Jim,
    Not triploids in Nahwatzel from what I've been told multiple times. At least not the fish from Satsop Springs. Thank god for that!
    Some of the best looking and fighting plants in the state due to being raised in a big pond rather then a concrete tank.

11. Gary Knowels

The Beaver lake fish are trips. This fish was FAT. Not streamlined and athletic like river fish or even many non-trip larger fish I've caught, but broad shouldered with a huge belly.

Before yesterday, I'd yet to get my 380-6 CT wet so I decided I'd string it up and see how it fished. I fished a type III full sink on it and had a blast catching fish that size on it. That 19"er put one hell of a bend on it!

Lex Story likes this.
  12. Jim Wallace

Those Satsop Springs trout are fat, too. When they jump, they often land with a loud "splat!"

My 385-4 CT was in Troutdale, OR yesterday, and my LL Bean Pocket Water reel was in Renton. Both should arrive here today!

13. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Has anybody been out there lately?? Thinking about going to Beaver lake in the next couple days with some friends.
    Thanks