Beaver Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Lex Story, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kvannice

kvannice Member

I think the guy in the float tube name is Jeff I have seen him before on beaver he was there Saturday and was hooking up over and over I got the skunk. The place was a zoo one guy in a raft was trolling ran in to me I was anchored up with my back too him then he moved and cut off Jeff in his float tube it was time for me go home

2. Tracy Lauricella

Tracy Lauricella Active Member

I think that's what he said his name was. He definitely had things dialed in. What time did you leave?

Someone actually ran into you? What kind of craft were you in? Jeff mentioned there was some guy that had cast his line out and blocked him earlier. He also pointed out a guy that had caught & kept fish earlier, left and came back to catch more.

I don't know what I was doing differently than Jeff- but there was definitely a difference. He was getting hit after hit, and I was getting squat. Both on the same stretch of water, both using sinking lines with black wooly buggers. I tried to match his retrieve and depth (he was very friendly and willing to let me know what he was doing.)

Dunno. If I can get up early enough tomorrow, I plan to take my float tube out there before work in the morning. Maybe I'll have better luck this time.

3. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

I was using JJ specials and fluorescent yellow wooley buggers and was able to hook up by stripping it in away from the bank. My trolling technique with a black or olive bugger was yielding squat. A few times I had hung up on the bottom from letting it sink too far down, but that's where I was finding them.

4. Tracy Lauricella

I got a hook up this morning with a black wooly bugger, but I was too gentle with my hookset and it came unpinned before I could get it to the float tube.

There's always tomorrow...

5. kvannice

kvannice Member

I was in a springcreek pram and bugged out about noon. Jeff has always been cool and helpful

6. Tracy Lauricella

I went out there again this morning in the float tube.

I had 4 hookups early on, 3 were just tugs, one was enough to bend the rod, but they all came unhooked immediately. I'm not sure if I need to be more agressive on setting the hook or what.

I did manage to land hookup #5 though. I would have stuck around after that, but had to go to work.

I was fishing using a 10' sinking tip on my floating line, using a white crystal head leech on a size 12 hook. (one from a fly swap here- I've caught a bunch of fish on it already.)

7. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Nice, What does that crystal head leech look like?

8. Tracy Lauricella

I'm trying to remember who tied it- I got two of them in the "a pretty sucky swap" fly swap. It's a very small clear/crystal bead, with what looks like white mohair with some flash mixed in, followed by some white marabou. The pattern seems pretty basic, but it's been a killer for me in lakes.

9. Tracy Lauricella

Well, I'm 1-for-4. I went out again this morning before work and got skunked. One fellow was leaving with his two fish just as I arrived at 7 am. I was then the only person out on the water until just before 9 am. The bank anglers seemed to be catching a few here and there.

I'm coming to the conclusion that as handy as the float tube is, it's not the tool to use when I only have 2 hours to fish before work. It takes me half an hour just to get anywhere. :)

10. Tracy Lauricella

The weather cooperated nicely this morning. There were a few sprinkles as I arrived at the lake, but they quickly cleared out and it was a nice sunny morning on the water. Not much wind, so it was quite nice fishing on the lake. There was only one other boat at 7am, increasing to about a half-dozen boats by 9 am. I was in the canoe today, and I was able to cover a lot more water in the 2 hours I had to fish than I did in the float tube.

Unfortunately I got skunked once again. I'm 1-for-5 now.

The bait guys were doing well though, a decent amount of fish were caught today, just not by me. :)

11. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Tracy you seem psychologically well prepared to start pursuing steelhead.

12. Tracy Lauricella

My ratio there is something like .5 to 70, I think. (.5 since I think I caught one once but didn't land it.)

I may go back to not catching steelhead next week. Not catching trout takes a lot more setup time on stillwater. ;)

13. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

Fished it today as well. Must have been on the water after you had left. Stayed for 3 hours. I hit a decent bite at about 11 or 12 during a sunbreak. Ended up landing 3 and missed a few other bites. I was using a full sinker, though. Pretty cold out there at 10; I'm sure it was worse at 7. First fish was a little dark, but I decided to keep it for the smoker anyway. Kinda started to regret my decision when I realized what the white stuff was. Regretted it even more when I had to release a much fresher fish.

14. Tracy Lauricella

Yeah, when I'm there before work I arrive at sunrise and fish until 9.

What were you using? And were you trolling or workign the shoreline or something else?

15. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I was working the shoreline and trolling with a sculpin-y pattern. Those fish fought a lot harder than I had expected.